Why does vasodilation in periphery lead to reduction in blood pressure?

In summary: It's important to note that vasodilation can also occur in the larger veins, which then dumps their contents into the smaller veins. This is why people with high blood pressure often have purple fingers and toes from peripheral edema.In summary, vasodilation in periphery leads to a decrease in blood pressure.
sameeralord
Hello everyone,

Ok generally what do they mean when they say vasodilation in periphery lead to reduction in blood pressure? Do I have to think of this as expanding the size of a fluid filled container so less fluid splashes againts the walls reducing pressure. Or do I have to think of this like a circuit where decreasing the resistane of a resistor results in decreased pressure just upstream of that resistor. Thank you :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Conventional blood pressure, which has become a standard vital measurement is measured around a person's arm, where vasodilatation is relevant (large arteries, smaller arterioles and large veins.)

If the arm vessels dilate, the pressure there will decrease.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasodilation

Last edited:
Dr Lots-o'watts said:
Conventional blood pressure, which has become a standard vital measurement is measured around a person's arm, where vasodilatation or contraction is negligible.

If there is more room for blood in the periphery where vasodilatation occurs (the capillaries in fingers, face, organs etc), there is a little less blood in the arms (and legs and main arteries), so the measured pressure there is reduced.

Thanks a lot for the answer :smile: but here is where I'm getting confused with circuits. In a circuit if I have 2 parallel circuits, both would get the same voltage but different current depending on the resistance. So if I directly think of voltage as pressure, shouldn't the pressure be same in legs and fingers. Is this a case where the pressure and voltage analogy doesn't work. If so I understand. Thank you :smile:

After review, I had to make an important correction in my first post. My physiology is further than I thought.

sameeralord said:
Hello everyone,

Ok generally what do they mean when they say vasodilation in periphery lead to reduction in blood pressure? Do I have to think of this as expanding the size of a fluid filled container so less fluid splashes againts the walls reducing pressure. Or do I have to think of this like a circuit where decreasing the resistane of a resistor results in decreased pressure just upstream of that resistor. Thank you :smile:

There's a simplified model of blood pressure, involving the ejection volume from the heart, systemic vascular resistance, and central venous pressure:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_pressure

The major driver of vascular pressure are the arterioles and capillaries. Increasing the peripheral blood flow decreases the vascular resistance, leading to a decrease in arterial pressure.

1. What is vasodilation and how does it affect blood pressure?

Vasodilation is the widening of blood vessels, particularly in the peripheral (outer) regions of the body. This allows for increased blood flow and decreased resistance to blood flow, leading to a decrease in blood pressure.

2. What causes vasodilation in the periphery?

Vasodilation in the periphery is primarily caused by the release of nitric oxide and other vasodilators from the endothelial cells lining the blood vessels. Other factors such as local temperature, hormones, and nerve signals can also contribute to vasodilation.

3. How does vasodilation in the periphery affect blood pressure?

When the blood vessels in the periphery widen, it allows for more blood to flow through them. This leads to a decrease in resistance to blood flow, which in turn lowers blood pressure. Additionally, vasodilation in the periphery can also cause a decrease in overall blood volume, further contributing to a decrease in blood pressure.

4. Can vasodilation in the periphery be beneficial for blood pressure?

Yes, vasodilation in the periphery can be beneficial for maintaining healthy blood pressure. By allowing for increased blood flow and decreased resistance, it can help to regulate blood pressure and prevent high blood pressure, also known as hypertension. However, excessive or prolonged vasodilation in the periphery can also lead to low blood pressure, which can be problematic.

5. Are there any potential side effects of vasodilation in the periphery on blood pressure?

While vasodilation in the periphery can have beneficial effects on blood pressure, it can also cause a decrease in blood pressure that is too low, also known as hypotension. This can lead to symptoms such as dizziness, lightheadedness, and fainting. Additionally, prolonged vasodilation in the periphery can also cause a decrease in overall blood volume, which can be dangerous for individuals with certain health conditions.