Why does water boil faster in high region than low region?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference in boiling times between high and low regions and the relationship between air pressure and the ideal gas law. The topic of vapor pressure is also brought up, with one member pointing out the significance of this concept in relation to the original question. The conversation ends with a reminder to do research and a question about the physical condition that determines the temperature at which water boils.
threy
Why does water boil faster in high region than low region?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
How does air pressure vary from high to low?

jackwhirl said:
I'm somewhat new here, so please forgive my presumption. Isn't the leap from "ideal gas law" to "vapor pressure" rather significant? Given the link you provided, is it wrong of me to point it out?

First, this is a friendly place and it is never wrong of you to point out something that you see as a mistake and second, yes you have a good point. I was mostly trying to get the OP to do some research on his own, which is something we promote here (thus the link that I provided).

Thanks for your post.

What physical condition determines the temperature at which water boils?

Chet

1. Why does water boil faster in high regions than low regions?

Water boils faster in high regions because the air pressure is lower. As altitude increases, the air pressure decreases, which means there are fewer air molecules pushing down on the surface of the water. This lower pressure allows the water molecules to escape into the air more easily, causing the water to boil at a lower temperature.

2. How does air pressure affect the boiling point of water?

Air pressure and boiling point have an inverse relationship. When air pressure is high, the boiling point of water is also high. Conversely, when air pressure is low, the boiling point of water is low. This is because air pressure affects the rate at which water molecules can escape into the air as steam.

3. Is water boiling point consistent at all altitudes?

No, the boiling point of water changes as altitude changes. As altitude increases, the boiling point of water decreases. Conversely, as altitude decreases, the boiling point of water increases. This is due to the changes in air pressure at different altitudes.

4. Does the type of water affect its boiling point in high regions?

Not significantly. The type of water (such as tap water, distilled water, or saltwater) has a minimal effect on its boiling point in high regions. The main factor that affects the boiling point of water in high regions is the air pressure.

5. Can water boil at a temperature lower than 100 degrees Celsius?

Yes, water can boil at a temperature lower than 100 degrees Celsius in high regions. As altitude increases, the boiling point of water decreases, and it can boil at temperatures as low as 70 degrees Celsius. This is why it takes longer to cook food at higher altitudes, as the water cannot reach the high temperatures needed for cooking.