Why doesn't my new RAM work with my ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO motherboard?

• Thread starter TSN79
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ram Work
In summary: Good luck!In summary, the customer's motherboard is the ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO, and they decided to get more RAM for it. After installing the new memory, their PC wouldn't boot. They tried it a couple of times, but to no avail. Finally, they put back their old memory and everything worked. However, their sticks of RAM are not on the list of supported memory by the motherboard. They decided to try a Windows 7 memory test and found that their sticks were working after they updated their BIOS.
TSN79
My motherboard is the ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO. I decided to get som more RAM for it, and went for 16 GB (4x4) by Crucial:

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=E8F809A0A5CA7304

After installing it my PC didn't want to boot. It revs up and all, but the screen never gets a signal. I thought I might have missed something regarding compatibility, but from what I can find it should work with my board. I tried it a couple of times, but to no evail. Finally I put back my old ones (also by Crucial (2x2), and everything worked great.

Ideas anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
TSN79 said:
My motherboard is the ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO. I decided to get som more RAM for it, and went for 16 GB (4x4) by Crucial:

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=E8F809A0A5CA7304

After installing it my PC didn't want to boot. It revs up and all, but the screen never gets a signal. I thought I might have missed something regarding compatibility, but from what I can find it should work with my board. I tried it a couple of times, but to no evail. Finally I put back my old ones (also by Crucial (2x2), and everything worked great.

Ideas anyone?
Their customer support couldn't help? They even have live chat available for support by a tech.

http://www.crucial.com/contact/

If they figure out the problem, it would be great if you'd post the solution here for others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try installing just one memory module at a time (in the correct slot, of course - see the motherboard documentation).

Ir could be one of the four modules is faulty and is stopping everything from working when you install all four of them.

http://www.asus.com.au/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/M4A785TDV_EVO/#MSL
Memory Support List.

The BLT4CP4G3D1608DT1TX0BEU 16gb kit is not supported by the motherboard.

BL25664TB1608.K16SF(XMP) only supports one Module at a time, the others in the same brand support upto 4.

By chance you may have purchased the only ram on the market not to work with your computer or as stated above you may have one or two dodgey sticks that you need to return.

Really comes down to testing the ram sticks one by one, Boot the pc with one stick at a time, going through them to find if it doesn't boot up with one of them, narrow your search down and you may be able to get 3 of them working (single channel) until you get a replacement.

You can use windows 7's built in memory test by spamming F8 while your computer is turning on and selecting diagnostics i think, there should be a mem test type program in there that tests your ram, judging by what's happening though you will only need to go through them one by one to find the faulty one, as its stopping the rest from working.

No success with the stick as of yet :(
r4z0r84 said:
The BLT4CP4G3D1608DT1TX0BEU 16gb kit is not supported by the motherboard.

BL25664TB1608.K16SF(XMP) only supports one Module at a time, the others in the same brand support upto 4.

I see that my sticks aren't on the list (it's from 2009), but why is it that when using the system scan feature on Crucial's site, it finds that my sticks should work fine with my motherboard?

How come you commented on the BL25664TB1608.K16SF(XMP)? Is it the "closest" to what I have bought?

Latest news: Sticks are working :)

Turns out I had to update my BIOS to the latest version. After doing so I installed the new sticks again, but the PC still wouldn't boot. I removed one, and then another, and when attempting to boot with only two sticks, it suddenly worked. I then put back the first stick I removed next to the other two, and it still booted. So I put the fourth one back as well, and everything was still good. Why it didn't work at first I have no idea, just thought I'd post the happy ending here :)

TSN79 said:
Latest news: Sticks are working :)

Turns out I had to update my BIOS to the latest version. After doing so I installed the new sticks again, but the PC still wouldn't boot. I removed one, and then another, and when attempting to boot with only two sticks, it suddenly worked. I then put back the first stick I removed next to the other two, and it still booted. So I put the fourth one back as well, and everything was still good. Why it didn't work at first I have no idea, just thought I'd post the happy ending here :)

I was tempted to offer that as a solution, but figured you get there anyway. In general, if something fails to work first close all programs and try again. If that doesn't do it, reboot. If that doesn't do it, disconnect all usb ports and reboot. If that doesn't do it, contact the manufacturer and go back to step one. For ram, that means adding the additional step of removing ram sticks one at a time until it does work.

TSN79 said:
No success with the stick as of yet :(

I see that my sticks aren't on the list (it's from 2009), but why is it that when using the system scan feature on Crucial's site, it finds that my sticks should work fine with my motherboard?

How come you commented on the BL25664TB1608.K16SF(XMP)? Is it the "closest" to what I have bought?

Yes they are the closest to the ram you purchased that existed on the day of release of your motherboard, from seeing your other comments good job on updating your bios, that was also my next point of call.

I have had issues with Kingston Hyper X ddr2 ram before, all other ram had just worked perfectly, updating the bios did not fix the issues i was having and turned out the series was just faulty to begin with. went back to generic ram and everything just worked. it overclocked better as well sadly.

1. Why is my computer not recognizing my new RAM?

There could be several reasons for this issue. It could be due to compatibility issues between the new RAM and your computer's motherboard. It could also be because the RAM is not properly seated in the motherboard or is not fully inserted. Another possibility is that the RAM is faulty. It is recommended to check the compatibility of the RAM with your computer and reseat the RAM properly to see if the issue is resolved.

2. Can I mix different types and sizes of RAM?

In most cases, it is not recommended to mix different types and sizes of RAM. This can cause compatibility issues and may lead to the RAM not working properly. It is best to use the same type and size of RAM for optimal performance.

3. Is there a way to test if my new RAM is faulty?

Yes, there are several ways to test if your new RAM is faulty. You can use diagnostic tools such as Memtest86 or Windows Memory Diagnostic to check for any errors. You can also try swapping the new RAM with another known working RAM to see if the issue is resolved.

4. Do I need to update my BIOS for the new RAM to work?

In some cases, updating the BIOS may be necessary for the new RAM to work properly. However, it is recommended to check with your computer's manufacturer or the RAM manufacturer before updating the BIOS. Updating the BIOS incorrectly can cause serious issues with your computer.

5. Can I overclock my new RAM for better performance?

Overclocking RAM can provide a slight performance boost, but it also carries the risk of damaging the RAM or other components in your computer. It is recommended to only overclock your RAM if you have experience and knowledge of the process. Otherwise, it is best to leave it at the default settings.