Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why doesn't the photon

1. Dec 4, 2009 #1
    ...become longer in its wavelength after it reflects off something? After all, photons do have momentum; I'd at least expect photons to transfer some of its energy to the object as it reflects off it, causing them to become less energetic, hence lengthening its wavelength.
    I'm mistaken, I know, but how so?...

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2009 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

You're not mistaken. However, try calculating how big this effect would be in a practical situation, and you'll probably get an idea of why people don't talk about it much.

4. Dec 4, 2009 #3

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Compton scattering is a very analogous phenomenon to the one you are describing.

5. Dec 4, 2009 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Sure, if a photon scatters off an individual electron or other elementary particle (Compton scattering is an example), or probably even an atom, the change in wavelength is noticeable. I had the impression Neo was thinking of macroscopic objects (maybe I was mistaken).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook