Uncovering the Mystery of Photon Wavelength Reflection and Momentum Transfer"

• Thread starter Neo_Anderson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photon
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of photons changing in wavelength after reflecting off an object. While photons do have momentum and can transfer some energy to the object, the effect is not significant in practical situations. This is similar to Compton scattering, where the change in wavelength is noticeable when scattering off individual particles or atoms. The conversation also clarifies that this concept may not apply to macroscopic objects.
Neo_Anderson
...become longer in its wavelength after it reflects off something? After all, photons do have momentum; I'd at least expect photons to transfer some of its energy to the object as it reflects off it, causing them to become less energetic, hence lengthening its wavelength.
I'm mistaken, I know, but how so?...

Physics news on Phys.org
You're not mistaken. However, try calculating how big this effect would be in a practical situation, and you'll probably get an idea of why people don't talk about it much.

Compton scattering is a very analogous phenomenon to the one you are describing.

Sure, if a photon scatters off an individual electron or other elementary particle (Compton scattering is an example), or probably even an atom, the change in wavelength is noticeable. I had the impression Neo was thinking of macroscopic objects (maybe I was mistaken).

1. What is photon wavelength reflection?

Photon wavelength reflection is the phenomenon where light waves, or photons, are redirected or bounced off a surface at the same angle at which they struck the surface. This is due to the change in the refractive index of the material the light is passing through.

2. How does photon wavelength reflection occur?

Photon wavelength reflection occurs when light waves encounter a change in the refractive index of the material they are passing through. This causes the light to slow down and bend, resulting in the reflection of the light at the same angle it entered the material.

3. What is momentum transfer in relation to photon wavelength reflection?

Momentum transfer is the transfer of momentum from a photon to the surface it is reflecting off of. When a photon is reflected, it exerts a force on the surface, transferring its momentum to the surface.

4. How is the wavelength of a reflected photon affected by the material it reflects off of?

The wavelength of a reflected photon is affected by the material it reflects off of due to the change in the refractive index of the material. The change in refractive index causes the light to slow down and bend, resulting in a change in the wavelength of the reflected light.

5. Why is understanding photon wavelength reflection and momentum transfer important?

Understanding photon wavelength reflection and momentum transfer is important for a variety of applications, such as designing reflective surfaces for mirrors or lenses, developing new technologies for data storage and transfer, and studying the behavior of light in different materials. It also helps us better understand the properties of light and its interactions with matter.