1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why doesn't this formula seem to work with convex mirrors? or did i miss somthing?

1. Mar 14, 2006 #1
    Hello everyone, I seem to be getting all the mirrors right that where concave but now i have a convex one and it doesn't seem to be working when im' finding the image distance and magnification/properties.

Here is the problem:
    Heres my work: both the i and the m where wrong, i also tried postive values for the i and it was also wrong.

I did get the last part of the question right though, i said it was going to be
    upright, behind the mirror and virtual
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2006 #2

First off, you haven't drawn a picture! Ray diagrams are very useful in these types of problems. The tricky part of lenses is making sure that all your signs are correct. For this type of mirror, I believe the focal length is negative. Do you understand what the difference is between a real and a virtual image? Do you understand what is meant by the focal length? The diagram will be helpful. Draw a convex mirror with an object in front, then draw the light-rays coming off the object and see where they go after bouncing off the mirror. Plugging and chugging won't help you understand the concepts, and a good understanding of the concepts is the key to tricky test questions.
  4. Mar 14, 2006 #3
    Thanks again Eep! I forgot all about convex mirros, the focal length is always negative u treat it as a diverging lens i guess! It wokred! wee!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?