1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why don't we have to know the hight at which a pendulum is dropped to get the period?

1. Jul 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What's the period to a 1 meter long physical pendulum string where L = 1M
    T=2∏√((2L)/(3g)) = 1.64s

But, I did my own experiment, and the higher I dropped the pendulum the longer it took for it to travel 1 oscillation. What is going on here?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2012 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Why don't we have to know the hight at which a pendulum is dropped to get the per

Hi student34. The formula that you are using is only an approximate formula. It's pretty accurate for small amplitude oscillations (the smaller the better), but becomes more and more inaccurate as the amplitude is increased. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendulum

4. Jul 18, 2012 #3
    Re: Why don't we have to know the hight at which a pendulum is dropped to get the per

Thank you so much. I thought I was going crazy!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook