Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Why ##ds^2=0## in the Metric

1. Dec 31, 2017 #1
    In FLWR metric or in Minkowski metric or in any general metric can we say that ##ds^2=0## cause speed of light should be constant to all observers ?

Or theres another reason ?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

What do you mean? What ##ds^2## is depends on the world-line you are considering. ##ds^2 = 0## corresponds to a light-like curve. This is a coordinate independent statement and it will be true for the light-like curve regardless of the coordinate system you use.

4. Dec 31, 2017 #3
    In FLRW metric when we measure the redshift we assume ##ds^2=0##. Like also in minkowski metric ##ds^2=0## cause only in that case we can get c=dx/dt.

Probably I should add to the question why for a light ##ds^2=0##...

5. Dec 31, 2017 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

This is not a measurement of redshift. It is a computation of the redshift based on the FLRW universe. Studying light, it is quite clear that we must use a light-like geodesics.

Light is massless and moves along null geodesics.

6. Dec 31, 2017 #5
    Hmm I see, I ll do more research on light-like geodesic case.

I havent seen it yet so I was confused about the reason. I guess I can understand why we use ##ds^2=0##.

7. Dec 31, 2017 #6

Dale

Staff: Mentor

The redshift you are talking about is for light. Light travels on null geodesics. Therefore ##ds^2=0##. It is not a general statement about the metric, it is a specific statement about light.

Same thing here. For light ##ds^2=0## for the reason you gave. But for massive objects ##ds^2<0## and for hypothetical tachyons ##ds^2>0##.

If you write down the metric, set ##ds^2=0##, then what are you left with? The equation of a sphere of radius ##ct##. This is something traveling at c in all directions, which is the second postulate. Therefore, ##ds^2=0## for light is the mathematical statement of the second postulate.

8. Dec 31, 2017 #7

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

I think it should be qualified that whether ##ds^2 > 0## or ##ds^2 < 0## for time-like world lines depends on the sign convention for the metric. Mathematicians and GR people generally prefer ##ds^2 < 0## while particle physicists prefer ##ds^2 > 0##. Always check which convention is being used in the particular text. Of course, this does not affect ##ds^2 = 0## for null world lines.

9. Dec 31, 2017 #8

Dale

Yes, good point. My preferred convention is to write ##ds^2## when I am using the (-+++) convention and to write ##d\tau^2## when I am using the (+---) convention

10. Dec 31, 2017 #9
    Yes I tried to mean that, as I understood from your post for light ##ds^2=0##. But Is this true for all of the metrics ?
    In example For Minkowski metric we are working on light rays then ##ds^2=0##, in FLRW metric , we are working on light then ##ds^2=0## etc. ?

Or there could be a metric where we cant set ##ds^2=0## for light ?

I see, thanks
    Also,
    I understand it now

11. Dec 31, 2017 #10

Dale

Yes, it is true for all metrics and all spacetimes

12. Dec 31, 2017 #11
    Thanks a lot

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted