1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why E^2=(mc^2)^2+(hv)^2?

1. Nov 13, 2015 #1
    I understand that E=mc^2 and E=hv can't be used to set mc^2 equal to hv, but why would the total equation be E=(mc^2)^2+(hv)^2 instead of E=mc^2+hv? I'm sorry if this question is stupid.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2015 #2
    Why is the Pythagorean theorem ##c^2 = a^2 + b^2## instead of ##c = a + b##? That's just how space works.

##E^2 = (mc^2)^2 + (pc)^2## is just an application of the Pythagorean theorem in spacetime.

4. Nov 13, 2015 #3
    Ok, thanks. By the way, what is the difference between pc and hv? I see them used interchangeably.

5. Nov 13, 2015 #4
    Ok, I gave a misleading answer and I think I need to address it. Space-time has a different metric than space, and Pythagorean theorem works differently. In familiar 3D, the metric is ##dr^2 = dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2## so Pythagorean theorem is as above.
    But in 4D space time, time has an opposite sign to space, so the corresponding metric is ##ds^2 = -dt^2 + dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2## or ##ds^2 = dt^2 - dx^2 - dy^2 - dz^2## depending on the convention you adopt.

So you can rewrite ##E^2 = (mc^2)^2 + (pc)^2## as
    ##(mc^2)^2 = E^2 - (pc)^2##
    ##(mc^2)^2 = E^2 - (p_xc)^2 - (p_yc)^2 - (p_zc)^2##

The invariant mass "m" is the 4D length of the energy and momentum 4-vector. But length is calculated using something like the Pythagorean theorem but with negative sign in front of the momentum. This is a result of the negative sign in the metric. This is clearer if you drop all the c constants from the equation.
    ##m^2 = E^2 - p_x^2 - p_y^2 - p_z^2##
    You can drop c if you measure length and time in compatible units. If you measure time in seconds, you should measure length in light-seconds, and then you can set c = 1 light-second/second and then make it go away.

6. Nov 13, 2015 #5
    You shouldn't be using ##h\nu## in this equation. It isn't correct to interchange ##h\nu## with ##pc## except for massless particles.

7. Nov 13, 2015 #6
    Thank you.

8. Nov 13, 2015 #7

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Who says it looks like that?

9. Nov 13, 2015 #8
    My bad, I meant E^2

10. Nov 13, 2015 #9
    E=hv also for a massive particle.

11. Nov 13, 2015 #10
    What is "v" here?

12. Nov 13, 2015 #11

jtbell

I was referring to the (hv)^2 part, not the E on the left which should indeed be E^2.

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to mean "nu" (##\nu##) for frequency, not "v" for velocity.

13. Nov 14, 2015 #12
    ##\nu##

14. Nov 16, 2015 #13
    What do you mean?

15. Nov 16, 2015 #14

jtbell

A particle's wave function has a time-dependent part whose frequency is given by ##\nu = E/h##.

For example, a free particle has ##\Psi(x,t) = Ae^{i(px-Et)/\hbar} = Ae^{2 \pi i(px-Et)/h}## so the time dependent part is ##e^{-2 \pi i Et / h}##. One form of an oscillator in complex-number space is ##e^{-i \omega t} = e^{-2 \pi i \nu t}##. Compare the two, and you get ##\nu = E/h##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook