1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why e?

1. Apr 18, 2003 #1
    Their must be over a million definitions involving the constant "e". What I would like is a description of the natural logarithm in natural terms, not just saying "e is where

e
    [inte] dx/x=1, etc."

In other words, why choose this function to define e, and how does it most fundamentally relate to other uses of e?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2003 #2
    That's a good question. I'm sure I could answer it where it not so late, I'll think into it.

4. Apr 18, 2003 #3
    e shows up everywhere is nature. Essentially it describe any phenomena that includes continuous build-up with certain rate. i.e. interests of your bank account, spiral pattern of shell of certain sea creatures. You can easily see from the definition of exponential function.

e = lim (1 + x) ^(1/x)

where limit takes x to zero.

Instanton

5. Apr 18, 2003 #4
    Yes, but that doesn't really explain the question.

One thing that I remember is that for the graph of ex, the function is its own slope at any point if that helps some insight.

6. Apr 18, 2003 #5
    Then, I don't know what the question is. e is just a trancedental number. Significance, or usefulness comes from the fact that it shows up everywhere in nature. Case for a pi is similar.

Instanton

7. Apr 18, 2003 #6
    actually the first function we define is not e
    it's natural log
    integrate from 1 to x for dt/t = ln(x)-ln(1)= ln(x)
    because after we define natural logarithm funtion
    we fine the base for the ln function
    so we defined the exponatial e
    hope this can help

8. Apr 18, 2003 #7
    The general idea is we very often have cases where

rate of change of X proportional to X

eg X'(t) = c*X(t). For example this very often occurs when X is a number of objects which are independent of one another: reproducing bacteria, decaying atoms. The most mathematically natural case is where c=1; though physically, there is nothing special about that unless the units of X and t are comparable.

It turns out the solution to this diffeq has the form of an exponential, X(t)=e^t, with e itself.

9. Apr 21, 2003 #8
    Summation the reciprocal of k factorial from 1 to infinitely large is also a representation of e , but it comes from the Talor's theorem and the derivative of e^x.

10. Apr 22, 2003 #9

dg

The first definition I was given for e is as a limit for n->oo of (1+1/n)^n.

In this form it occurs also in other scenarios like the calculation of continuous interest in finance...

As far as considering it as a natural base for logarithms... you realize how natural it is only once you start calculating derivatives I guess...

Another possibility is to say that e is the basis of logarithm when
    lim (log(1+x))/x=1
    x->0
    that is the logarithm that goes to zero as linearly as x does.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook