1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why everything sticks

1. Sep 5, 2015 #1
    Why does everything under a certain weight seem to stick to my fingers (or any ones finger) for a second or less then fall. For example i can pick up a pen cap for a second and lift it high into the air before it comes fall down as my finger continues into the air.

Wondering why everything does this that is under a serene weight. As well when you push down on the object it seems to stick for longer. (my fingers aren't sticky or sweaty and this seems to only work when there is a small surface area better if smaller then the total objects.)

can some one please tell me whats going on here. thanks very much.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2015 #2
    I think it has to do with the fact that your finger is soft, when you press on the object, the finger change shape to envelope it, and friction can hold on the the object for a while, and the longer/harder you press, the more your finger change shape. Also, there is the Van der waal's forces that attract the object and your finger, and this effect may be magnified when pressing it longer makes the contacting area increase.

4. Sep 26, 2015 #3
    Van der waal's force may not be the reason. Gecko make use of that as their hair are nanometer scale while ours are in milimeters. Sooo

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook