Why Fathers Get Gray Hair

  • Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hair
In summary: but mostly because it's funny to see people's reactions when they realize that even though they might look "old", they're still pretty darn young when it comes to life experiences.fortunately my daughter inherited some of my fear of heights/falling ( self preservation) and she is very happy with just doing lots of mountain trail hikes
  • #281
berkeman said:
Oh yeah, now that I look closer I see where the clear O2 tubes go in the ends of the mustache things:

View attachment 322733
So I guess the O2 tanks are somewhere behind the seats?

edit: I just asked her where the tanks might be.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #282
Yeah, must be. Those are low-flow nasal cannulas, probably around 3 liters per minute. That's not much extra O2, but apparently enough for the regs.

So that suggests a good birthday present that you can get her -- a pulse oximeter so she can check her O2sat level every once in a while on the flight... :smile:

1677099426052.png


https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086KZ8JVH/?tag=pfamazon01-20
 
  • Love
  • Like
Likes BillTre and dlgoff
  • #283
berkeman said:
Oh yeah, now that I look closer I see where the clear O2 tubes go in the ends of the mustache things:

View attachment 322733
I asked her about where the tanks might be and this is what she said:
... I believe that airplane had an on-board oxygen system vs portable tanks.
 
  • Informative
  • Like
Likes BillTre and berkeman
  • #284
@berkeman
I was just thinking that you wouldn't want portable tanks flying around should you have to make a hard landing.
 
  • #285
dlgoff said:
I was just thinking that you wouldn't want portable tanks flying around should you have to make a hard landing.
I did a brief search, and it looks like there are multiple ways that the O2 can be stored in aircraft. I'm sure that wherever any O2 canisters are stored, they are well-secured with hopefully some impact padding around them.

https://www.faa.gov/pilots/safety/pilotsafetybrochures/media/oxygen_equipment.pdf
 
  • Informative
Likes dlgoff
  • #286
Both I and my passenger measured 78% on a pulse oximeter at 12,000 feet one day about a year ago. The FAA requires oxygen if over 12,500 feet for more than 30 minutes, and at all times over 14,000 feet for general aviation. That's a minimum requirement, they suggest oxygen when over 10,000 feet. Part 135 (commercial) operations have more stringent requirements.
 
  • Informative
  • Like
Likes russ_watters, berkeman and dlgoff
  • #287
jrmichler said:
Both I and my passenger measured 78% on a pulse oximeter at 12,000 feet one day
Wow, that's crazy low if you were my patient at sea level (like "load and go" low). Is that typical for no-O2 at that altitude? Have you taken a similar reading while on 3L/min. of O2 via nasal cannula?
 
  • Like
Likes dlgoff
  • #288
dlgoff said:
300 hours of logged flying
And I thought it was a perfect game of bowling!
 
  • Haha
Likes dlgoff and berkeman
  • #289
berkeman said:
Wow, that's crazy low if you were my patient at sea level (like "load and go" low). Is that typical for no-O2 at that altitude? Have you taken a similar reading while on 3L/min. of O2 via nasal cannula?
I did some internet searching, and came away with the impression that that concentration is typical for that altitude. Apparently age does not affect blood oxygen vs altitude, which was good because we were 70 and 71 respectively. The airplane was a Cessna 152, so no oxygen system.

It's difficult to measure one's own performance, but I was able to correctly maintain climb attitude, airspeed, situational awareness, and panel scan the entire time.
 
  • Like
Likes berkeman
  • #290
jrmichler said:
I did some internet searching, and came away with the impression that that concentration is typical for that altitude.
Yeah, it looks like that is so. I found this just now:
Does altitude affect the pulse ox? Should I use it at altitude?
Yes, dramatically so. At 5,000 feet, if you don’t breathe any faster than normal, your O2 saturation will be about 90%. If you take 5 extra breaths per minute, you can increase this to 95%.

At the extremes of altitude, the changes are even more pronounced. At 10,000 feet, if you breathe at a normal rate, your O2 saturation would be about 80%. At the summit of Mt. Everest, if you breathed at your normal rate, life would not be sustainable. In fact, you would need to breathe twice as fast as normal, and twice as deep as normal, just for your oxygen saturation to be 35%. And that’s if you’re standing still, not expending energy! This is why only 3% of the summits of Mt. Everest are done without oxygen [2].
https://blog.durationhealth.com/pulse-oximeter/

It's crazy that your O2sat can be that low and you don't exhibit an Altered Level of Consciouness (ALOC).
 
  • Like
Likes jrmichler and dlgoff
  • #291
300 hours is 12.5 days, twice round the earth at a leisurely 167 mph..

That's pretty cool.
 
  • Like
Likes dlgoff
  • #292
I just found out that my daughter will be taking her Certified Flight Instructor testing in June.
 
  • Like
Likes BillTre, Haborix, berkeman and 1 other person
  • #293
dlgoff said:
I just found out that my daughter will be taking her Certified Flight Instructor testing in June.
Now she can help other parents get gray hair!
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes Filip Larsen, pinball1970, Borg and 3 others
  • #294
Drivers Ed for airplanes!
 
  • Like
Likes dlgoff
  • #295
dlgoff said:
I just found out that my daughter will be taking her Certified Flight Instructor testing in June.
I just got this email from my daughter (no gray hairs because of this):
"Hi dad, just wanted to let you know that I passed my check-ride this morning and am officially a CFI (certified flight instructor.) I’ll be interviewing with the chief pilot in a couple of weeks to officially start on as an instructor at Aspen. Here are some pictures:"
CFI-1.jpg

CFI-2.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes collinsmark, Haborix, OmCheeto and 5 others
  • #296
Good for her!
 
  • Like
Likes dlgoff
  • #297
berkeman said:
I did a brief search, and it looks like there are multiple ways that the O2 can be stored in aircraft. I'm sure that wherever any O2 canisters are stored, they are well-secured with hopefully some impact padding around them.

https://www.faa.gov/pilots/safety/pilotsafetybrochures/media/oxygen_equipment.pdf
Did anyone catch the typo in that flyer?
I just reported it to the phone No. on the back cover.

Cheers,
Tom
 
  • #298
Tom.G said:
Did anyone catch the typo in that flyer?
I'm not seeing it. Which page?
 
  • #299
There is presently one T-38 (supersonic military training jet) on sale for the low low price of $800K, although it probably will be closer to a million after the paint job and filling the tank with fuel. And it's a two-seater! Think of the fun she could have flying her dad hither and yon.

Inverted.
 
  • Like
Likes dlgoff and BillTre
  • #300
berkeman said:
I'm not seeing it. Which page?
6
 
  • #301
Been a while since I posted in this thread. Here are three photos of my daughter and all the folks in her department where they are all Certified Flight Instructors (CFI) now:
CFI-1.jpg

CFI-2.jpg

CFI-3.jpg

Also, she has began teaching now. I'm so proud of her.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes OmCheeto, StatGuy2000, nsaspook and 8 others
  • #302
dlgoff said:
Been a while since I posted in this thread. Here are three photos of my daughter and all the folks in her department where they are all Certified Flight Instructors (CFI) now:
View attachment 329319
View attachment 329320
View attachment 329321
Also, she has began teaching now. I'm so proud of her.
She always looks exceedingly happy. :cool:
 
  • Love
  • Like
Likes pinball1970 and dlgoff
  • #303
No new gray hairs. Just wanted to give an update on my daughter's flying, etc.

I emailed my daughter to see how she was doing and this is part of her reply:
...I have about 5 female students now. Classes for the fall semester start up in a week and a half so I’ll be busy with it all.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
  • Care
Likes StatGuy2000, collinsmark, pinball1970 and 1 other person
  • #304
While looking through the government surplus list. I see a few AV-8B Harriers. If the T-38 Talon is too impractical, this might be an alternative: it's VTOL, so it might just fit in your garage. :smile:

Alas. I only saw the single-seat version.

So don't say I'm not looking out for you!
 
  • #305
Vanadium 50 said:
I see a few AV-8B Harriers. If the T-38 Talon is too impractical, this might be an alternative: it's VTOL, so it might just fit in your her garage.

Fixed that for you. :wink:
 
  • Like
Likes Filip Larsen and dlgoff
  • #306
I was actually surprised to see military aircraft on the surplus list. I am kind of imagining someone calling and saying "we'll take three boxes of pens, the big file cabinet, and a half dozen Tomcats please".
 
  • #308
It's been a while since posting in this thread. Here is what my daughter mentioned in an email: "I do have a little over 500 (flying) hours now. Slowly but surely building them up."
 
  • Like
Likes pinball1970 and berkeman
  • #309
I understand as a full time GA CFI you can expect upwards of 400-500 flight hours per year. I'm not sure, but I would think that instructors get to log the flight hours with student pilots (since the CFI is pilot in command), but maybe not once the student has gone solo, and surely not if the instructor are doing checkout rides for other pilots.
 
  • Informative
Likes pinball1970
  • #310
Filip Larsen said:
I understand as a full time GA CFI you can expect upwards of 400-500 flight hours per year. I'm not sure, but I would think that instructors get to log the flight hours with student pilots (since the CFI is pilot in command), but maybe not once the student has gone solo, and surely not if the instructor are doing checkout rides for other pilots.
Sounds right. But I'll have to ask her about it.
 
  • #311
I thought of your daughter when I saw this on Facebook today... :smile:

1700505192926.png
 
  • Haha
  • Like
  • Love
Likes collinsmark, Vanadium 50, dlgoff and 5 others
  • #312
berkeman said:
I thought of your daughter when I saw this on Facebook today... :smile:

View attachment 335858
Is that an 8 track at the bottom to the right of the shifter?
 
  • Like
  • Love
Likes dlgoff and pinball1970
  • #313
BillTre said:
Is that an 8 track at the bottom to the right of the shifter?
LOL, looks like a comms radio to me (with display), but good question...
 
  • #314
I guess that dashboard requires good eyesight and long arms for full usage. Or, alternatively, a good co-pilot. :smile:
 
  • Like
Likes dlgoff
  • #315
berkeman said:
I thought of your daughter when I saw this on Facebook today... :smile:

View attachment 335858
I sent this image to my daughter. Thanks.
 
  • Like
Likes collinsmark and BillTre

Suggested for: Why Fathers Get Gray Hair

Replies
44
Views
5K
Replies
6
Views
1K
Replies
3
Views
557
Replies
14
Views
1K
Replies
1
Views
897
Replies
19
Views
487
Back
Top