FDM vs FEM: Which is Better for CFD?

• A
  • Thread starter maistral
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fdm Fem
In summary, the debate between Finite Volume Methods (FVM) and Finite Element Methods (FEM) for solving reaction-advection-diffusion problems has been ongoing. While FEM allows for higher order methods and conservation of other properties, FVM guarantees mass conservation, making it a preferred method in CFD. However, other methods such as Lattice-Boltzmann and Immersed Boundary Methods are gaining traction and may have their own benefits and drawbacks. Ultimately, the best approach may vary depending on the specific problem and domain. Experimenting with different methods is recommended for learning and finding the most suitable solution.
maistral
TL;DR Summary
Why should I pick FDM over FEM when solving reaction-advection-diffusion problems?
Basically, the summary. I forgot where I read this before, apparently FDM is much better in handling such problems, and apparently CFD in general is better dealt with FDM instead of FEM. Why is this so?

Physics news on Phys.org
Finite difference methods have only one advantage: they are very simple to implement. FDM is not easy to extend to complex geometries. There is more debate about finite volume methods versus finite element methods. The advantage of the finite volume method is that mass conservation is guaranteed. On the other hand, the finite element method can be easily extended to higher order methods, and you can guarantee conservation of other properties like energy for certain flavours of FEM.

maistral said:
Summary: Why should I pick FDM over FEM when solving reaction-advection-diffusion problems?

Basically, the summary. I forgot where I read this before, apparently FDM is much better in handling such problems, and apparently CFD in general is better dealt with FDM instead of FEM. Why is this so?

In my experience, with CFD, in general we instead choose Finite Volume Methods, as that is a conservative method and guarantees conservation of fields. Of course that is the "traditional" Mechanical Engineering textbook reply. Lately other methods like Lattice-Boltzmann and Immersed Boundary Methods are gaining traction that have their own benefits and drawbacks. There are a lot of methods that are being used that have applicability in different domains. FDM or FEM or even FVM aren't gold standards. They will always have problems in some domains like multiphase flows and turbulent flows, where you respectively use things like Level Set, Volume of Fluid methods for multiphase flows and you'll likely use something like LES or RANS(if you have the computational power), for these domains.

I have no experience with reactions so I'm not the person to ask about them. But I'll suggest to start coding in FDM and then try other approaches and compare results and computation time etc. The best way to learn is to experiment. darthcoder

1. What is the difference between FDM and FEM?

FDM (Finite Difference Method) and FEM (Finite Element Method) are both numerical methods used for solving partial differential equations (PDEs) in computational fluid dynamics (CFD). The main difference between the two is in the way they discretize the domain. FDM divides the domain into a grid of equally spaced points, while FEM divides the domain into smaller subdomains and approximates the solution using piecewise polynomial functions.

2. Which method is more accurate?

This is a difficult question to answer definitively, as the accuracy of both methods depends on the specific problem being solved and the implementation of the methods. Generally, FEM is considered to be more accurate for complex geometries and irregularly shaped domains, while FDM may be more accurate for simpler geometries. It is important to carefully consider the specific requirements of the problem when choosing between FDM and FEM.

3. Which method is faster?

Again, the answer to this question depends on the specific problem and implementation. In general, FDM is faster for simple geometries and regular grids, while FEM may be faster for complex geometries. However, advancements in both methods have made them more comparable in terms of speed. It is important to benchmark and compare the performance of both methods for the specific problem at hand.

4. Are there any limitations to using FDM or FEM?

Both FDM and FEM have their own limitations and assumptions. FDM assumes a regular grid, which may not be suitable for complex geometries. FEM, on the other hand, may not be suitable for problems with discontinuous solutions. Additionally, both methods require careful consideration and validation to ensure accurate results. It is important to understand the limitations of each method and choose the one that is most appropriate for the problem.

5. Can FDM and FEM be used together?

Yes, it is possible to combine FDM and FEM in a hybrid approach for certain problems. This can help overcome the limitations of each method and improve accuracy and efficiency. However, it is important to carefully consider the implementation and validate the results to ensure accuracy.