Math Class: Necessary or Redundant?

• Thread starter annoyinggirl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class
In summary, the conversation is about the importance of attending math class even if the material is already understood through reading the textbook. Some argue that attending class helps reinforce the material and can also provide networking opportunities. Others suggest that class can be a waste of time and that students should be graded solely on homework and tests. However, it is noted that sometimes important information is only covered in class and not in the textbook. The conversation also touches on the idea that humans have evolved to learn through oral tradition and that networking with peers can be beneficial in understanding the material.
annoyinggirl
After reading the math book and solving the math problems, I understand the material. So why attend math class, where after I read the book, I find so boring and unnecessary? Is it because going to math class makes it more likely that you will read your book and do your homework? I feel like it's redundant to read the book and then hear the same stuff again in class.

Also, I have to learn from the book. I can't learn when someone tries to teach me. I guess I'm just used to it because throughout middle and high school, I had to depend on myself to learn math through the math books due to lazy and bad teachers.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Sometimes it's not worth going to class. Generally though, as you progress, professors will begin to present material differently than what is shown in the textbook, or even different material all together.

And some professors are just good lecturers and are worth listening to.

And then it never hurts to hear/see the material again.

Congratulations annoyinggirl, never stop reading and indeed you could become proficient in higher math. However, I have always contended that math and science education depends on the oral tradition of teaching. In spite of having easy access textbooks, the vast majority of people cannot really learn the material on their own from a book. This is why billions are spent on tuition at universities. It might be that we lack the perseverance, or the fundamental capacity to learn by reading alone, or even that textbooks are written by experts who cannot fathom all the problems of the novice. But I really think it is deeper. Humans have always learned from our elders, in fact this is the reason humans have risen to dominate this planet. A million years of evolution have given us this powerful unique skill. Even though self taught "amateurs" have occasionally produced great ideas, it is very rare in math and science.
So keep reading and at least you will ace the tests in school. The more you learn, the more you realize how much you don't know. This is very important because without ignorance there can be no learning.

If you stop going to lectures, make sure you have a way to find out about announcements like changes in homework due dates, or test/exam dates, or changes in homework assignments.

I am the exact same way. We are the type of people that learn through reading and experience. I have found that going to lectures helps me stay at the same pace as the class. Quite frankly, I zone out a lot during lectures because I am either thinking about a concept or are sleep deprived-usually the latter.

Surely networking with your lecturers and peers is an important consideration. If it was me I'd attend whether I felt I knew the material or not. There may be something obscure covered that you would never have anticipated.

CatWhisperer said:
Surely networking with your lecturers and peers is an important consideration. If it was me I'd attend whether I felt I knew the material or not. There may be something obscure covered that you would never have anticipated.

I agree that the networking can be a major benefit to going to classes when you feel you don't need to. I didn't feel the need to go to one of my college algebra courses a few terms back, but I did anyway and I ended up getting a scholarship due to the networking I was able to be a part of. Also, by being an active and present member of another class, I was able to get a good recommendation for a job I'm starting this September. So while a class may seem boring due to your ability to learn from the book, I'd suggest you still go -- you never know what positive things could happen.

It forces you to listen or at least not be online instead of do something else.

I skipped a lot of Calculus III classes back when I was a freshman in undergrad (probably about half lol). I felt like I knew the material already and didn't need to go. I was still getting A's on everything where most of my classmates struggled and still attended class. I could tell my professor was displeased with my attendance and was probably annoyed that I was doing so well without his teaching. It was the only class I had with him until my senior project course for programming. Of course, I went to those classes :)

Hi annoyinggirl, you are me:) But as you go on, there is so much material to learn in a class that the instructor framing of the material becomes important- out of all that you could focus on, what does the instructor emphasize most(and eventually put on the test?) There is usually a reason, and it comes up in later coursework. Also, should you become stuck on one particular question, often the person who will help you is another student- this can't happen if you don't know anyone. Once I almost missed a problem and didn't even realize I wasn't on track to solve it-if I hadn't talked to a friend just before our test I wouldn't have known.

sometimes they test on material that was covered in class but not in the book. it happened in my engineering class

I agree that going to class is a waste of time for some students (myself and you included). I think class should be optional and people should be graded on just HW and tests. I do think that most people do much better with lectures.

Play Nintendo and flirt with cute guys.

1. Is math class really necessary?

Yes, math class is necessary because it teaches critical thinking skills, problem-solving strategies, and logical reasoning that are applicable in various fields and aspects of life. Math is also the foundation for many other subjects such as science, technology, and economics.

2. Can't we just learn math from online resources or apps?

While online resources and apps can supplement learning, they cannot replace the value of a math classroom. In a classroom, students have access to a teacher who can provide personalized guidance and address any misconceptions. Additionally, working with peers in a classroom setting can enhance understanding and promote collaboration.

3. How does math apply to real life?

Math is used in everyday life, from calculating expenses and budgeting to measuring ingredients in cooking. In addition, many careers, such as engineering, finance, and data analysis, heavily rely on mathematical concepts. Learning math in school can help develop skills that are useful in various aspects of life.

4. What if I don't plan on pursuing a math-related career?

Even if you do not plan on pursuing a career in a math-related field, math class can still be beneficial. It teaches problem-solving skills and critical thinking, which are useful in any career or aspect of life. Additionally, having a strong foundation in math can open up opportunities for further education and career options.

5. Why do we have to learn advanced math if we won't use it in our daily lives?

Advanced math may not be used in everyday life, but it is essential for understanding higher-level concepts in other subjects such as physics, economics, and computer science. It also helps develop abstract thinking and problem-solving skills, which are valuable in any career. Additionally, learning advanced math can open up opportunities for further education and specialized careers.