Why is it Called Good Friday?

• Thread starter fargoth
  • Start date
In summary: French it is "Fête de la Miséricorde" (Mercy's Day).In summary, "good" friday is the day that Christ was crucified.
fargoth
why "good" firday?

i was just learning the history of alaska (sometimes i feel an urge to learn about distant lands, last time it was georgia (not the US state)).

and i got to the part of good friday's earthquake, the greatest earthquake recorded in north america and third greatest earthquake recorded in the whole world.

131 people died, $1.8 billion in 2006 U.S. dollars and $65 million in 2006 Canadian dollars damage was done.

why the hell do they call it GOOD friday?!

uhh, ignore this post... it got posted twice, and anyway i found out why it was called that way

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Good friday to me means the day that Christ was crucified. The friday before easter.

~H

The most obvious explanation is that people tend to call things like this with names associated with the day it happened if there is one. Example: St. Valentines Day Massacre.

And if those weren't the actual days both those things happened, then i don't know.

Hootenanny said:
Good friday to me means the day that Christ was crucified. The friday before easter.

~H

If somebody was killed, why the hell "good"? :rofl:

These explain it in some detail, but it is basically the Friday before Easter Sunday -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Friday

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/06643a.htm

Because of the uncertainty of the day and year of the original event, and the fact that people in Jerusalem used a lunar calendar, the date shifts each year in the modern solar calendar.

As for why it is good -
Mainstream Christian churches view Christ's crucifixion as a voluntary and vicarious act, and one by which, along with resurrection on the third day, death itself was conquered.

In Palestine, Jesus' birthplace, it is known as "Sad Friday." In the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Serbia, Greece, Bulgaria (and Eastern Orthodox Church in general) the day is called Great Friday.
Wikipedia

In Norwegian it is called the "Long Friday" (a long day of suffering, essentially)

1. Why is Good Friday called "Good"?

Good Friday is considered "good" because it commemorates the crucifixion and death of Jesus Christ, who is believed by Christians to have died for the forgiveness of sins. Despite the suffering and death that Jesus endured, it is seen as a good and necessary sacrifice for the salvation of humanity.

2. Is Good Friday a holiday?

Good Friday is considered a holiday in many countries, particularly those with Christian populations. It is observed as a public holiday in several countries including the United States, Canada, Australia, and many European countries. However, it is not considered a federal holiday in the United States.

3. Is Good Friday a holy day of obligation?

In the Catholic Church, Good Friday is considered a holy day of obligation, which means that Catholics are expected to attend Mass on this day. However, it is not a holy day of obligation in all Christian denominations, and some may have different practices or beliefs about the observance of Good Friday.

4. What happens on Good Friday?

Good Friday is a day of solemn remembrance and mourning for the death of Jesus Christ. Many Christians attend church services, often in the afternoon or evening, where the story of Jesus' crucifixion is read from the Bible. Some churches also have special services, such as the Stations of the Cross or the Tenebrae service, to commemorate Jesus' suffering and death.

5. How is Good Friday connected to Easter?

Good Friday is part of the Easter Triduum, which includes Holy Thursday and Easter Sunday. It is the first day of the Triduum and is followed by Holy Saturday, the day before Easter. Good Friday is seen as a preparation for Easter, as it is believed that Jesus' death on the cross and resurrection on Easter Sunday are linked and necessary for the salvation of humanity.