Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why good firday?

1. Apr 30, 2006 #1
    why "good" firday?

i was just learning the history of alaska (sometimes i feel an urge to learn about distant lands, last time it was georgia (not the US state)).

and i got to the part of good friday's earthquake, the greatest earthquake recorded in north america and third greatest earthquake recorded in the whole world.

131 people died, $1.8 billion in 2006 U.S. dollars and $65 million in 2006 Canadian dollars damage was done.

why the hell do they call it GOOD friday???!!!

uhh, ignore this post... it got posted twice, and anyway i found out why it was called that way

Last edited: Apr 30, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Good friday to me means the day that Christ was crucified. The friday before easter.

~H

4. Apr 30, 2006 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

The most obvious explanation is that people tend to call things like this with names associated with the day it happened if there is one. Example: St. Valentines Day Massacre.

And if those werent the actual days both those things happened, then i dont know.

5. Apr 30, 2006 #4
    If somebody was killed, why the hell "good"? :rofl:

6. Apr 30, 2006 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

These explain it in some detail, but it is basically the Friday before Easter Sunday -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Friday

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/06643a.htm

Because of the uncertainty of the day and year of the original event, and the fact that people in Jerusalem used a lunar calendar, the date shifts each year in the modern solar calendar.

As for why it is good -
    Wikipedia

7. Apr 30, 2006 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

In Norwegian it is called the "Long Friday" (a long day of suffering, essentially)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?