Why gravity attracts?

Why is gravity? What is it that causes attraction between two particles, no matter what their distance from each other or thier masses or even what is between the two?

LURCH

Science Advisor
Nobody really knows.

theCandyman said:
Why is gravity? What is it that causes attraction between two particles, no matter what their distance from each other or thier masses or even what is between the two?
According to General Relativity, the surface that is our universe is curved in the presence of mass. This affects the trajectories of objects and makes it appear that masses are being attracted towards each other.

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
To quote Isaac Newton on the subject "Fengo non hypothesen" ("I frame no hypotheses").

As to geometer's response, of course that leaves open the question why mass curves space.

HallsofIvy said:
To quote Isaac Newton on the subject "Fengo non hypothesen" ("I frame no hypotheses").

As to geometer's response, of course that leaves open the question why mass curves space.
It certainly does, and I don't have a good explanation for this!

I seem to remember seeing, at one time, an article somewhere in my stack of references on why mass curves space, but I have since searched in vain for it!