Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why hoarfrost in the morning

1. Jan 8, 2004 #1
    I was wondering how it comes that we have hoarfrost in the morning. Water has his tripplepoint at 0.001°C and 10³Pa, so subblimation occurs at lower pressure and temperature. But we have atmospherical pressure of 10^5Pa, so how comes we have hoarfrost?

http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/water/phase.html

I think it has something to do with partial pressure (Law of Dalton), but I'm not sure how...

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2004 #2
    I could be wrong about the technicalities, but when I have seen hoarfrost(an otherwordly, beautiful site, eh?)on trees, shrubbery, fences, etc... I was under the impression that the primary mechanism involved(other than freezing temps)was supersaturated air.
    Any insight?

4. Jan 13, 2004 #3
    So no one knows why water sublimates at this pressure?

5. Jan 14, 2004 #4

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Is hoarfrost formed by (reverse) sublimation? Maybe it's only a special kind of condensation, folowed by freezing? What is the dewpoint right next to the leaves or whatever where the hoarfrost forms?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?