Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why-Hydrogen has small

1. Apr 24, 2005 #1
    Can any one explain physically why the scattering factor is small for back reflection in case of hydrogen i.e (theta=pi/2).

Any help ..Thanks
    Ess ESS

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2005 #2

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Simplest atom [one proton, one electron]?

4. Apr 25, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What particles are u sending towards the H atoms...?

Daniel.

5. Apr 25, 2005 #4
    Well the problem does not say anything about whats being sent towards the Atom.

6. Apr 25, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If u know a bit about Rutherford scattering,then u'll figure out the answer yourself.

Daniel.

7. Apr 25, 2005 #6

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Whenever you are asking something like this, it is important that you first of all, quote the EXACT "problem" that you are being asked. Your interpretation of what it is asking may be wrong or misleading, so never ever just reveal your interpretation of what is being asked.

Secondly, I have no clue on what "theta" is in your original post, nor did you care to define it. What is this? What is it measured FROM? Seems that theta=pi/2 is 90 degree scattering. So why would this correspond to "back reflection"?

So now can you see why, as it stands, this whole thing is very vague and strange?

Zz.

8. Apr 25, 2005 #7
    Sorry for my Ignorance...I apologise.
    Here is the Complete problem
    "The electron density in a hydrogen atom in its ground state is spherically symmetric, and is given by

p(r)=exp{(-2r/a)/(pi*a^3)

where a, the first Bohar radius has the value 0.53 Angstrom. Compute the atomic scattering factor for hydrogen and plot it as a fucntion of =2ksin(theta)=4*pi*sin(theta)/lambda.

Explain physcially why the scattering factor is small for back reflection (theta=pi/2).

I have solved the first part but i am unable to find an explanation for the second part.

Hopefully now u can be of help.

Thanks
    Ess ESS

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?