Why is the Scattering Factor Small for Back Reflection in Hydrogen?

• Thread starter System Engineer
  • Start date
In summary, the electron density in a hydrogen atom in its ground state is spherically symmetric, and is given by p(r)=exp{(-2r/a)/(pi*a^3)} where a, the first Bohar radius has the value 0.53 Angstrom. Compute the atomic scattering factor for hydrogen and plot it as a function of =2ksin(theta)=4*pi*sin(theta)/lambda.
System Engineer
Can anyone explain physically why the scattering factor is small for back reflection in case of hydrogen i.e (theta=pi/2).

Any help ..Thanks
Ess ESS

Physics news on Phys.org
Simplest atom [one proton, one electron]?

What particles are u sending towards the H atoms...?

Daniel.

Well the problem does not say anything about what's being sent towards the Atom.

If u know a bit about Rutherford scattering,then u'll figure out the answer yourself.

Daniel.

System Engineer said:
Well the problem does not say anything about what's being sent towards the Atom.

Whenever you are asking something like this, it is important that you first of all, quote the EXACT "problem" that you are being asked. Your interpretation of what it is asking may be wrong or misleading, so never ever just reveal your interpretation of what is being asked.

Secondly, I have no clue on what "theta" is in your original post, nor did you care to define it. What is this? What is it measured FROM? Seems that theta=pi/2 is 90 degree scattering. So why would this correspond to "back reflection"?

So now can you see why, as it stands, this whole thing is very vague and strange?

Zz.

Sorry for my Ignorance...I apologise.
Here is the Complete problem
"The electron density in a hydrogen atom in its ground state is spherically symmetric, and is given by

p(r)=exp{(-2r/a)/(pi*a^3)

where a, the first Bohar radius has the value 0.53 Angstrom. Compute the atomic scattering factor for hydrogen and plot it as a function of =2ksin(theta)=4*pi*sin(theta)/lambda.

Explain physcially why the scattering factor is small for back reflection (theta=pi/2).

I have solved the first part but i am unable to find an explanation for the second part.

Hopefully now u can be of help.

Thanks
Ess ESS

1. Why does hydrogen have a small atomic size?

Hydrogen has a small atomic size because it only has one proton in its nucleus, making it the lightest element. This means that the attractive force between the protons and electrons is relatively weak, resulting in a larger atomic radius compared to other elements.

2. How does the small size of hydrogen affect its chemical properties?

The small size of hydrogen allows it to easily form bonds with other elements, making it a highly reactive element. It can bond with many different elements, including nonmetals and metals, to form compounds.

3. Is the small size of hydrogen related to its low boiling and melting points?

Yes, the small size of hydrogen is a contributing factor to its low boiling and melting points. Due to its small size, hydrogen atoms have weaker intermolecular forces, making it easier for them to break apart and enter a gaseous state at lower temperatures.

4. What is the impact of hydrogen's small size on its physical properties?

Aside from its low boiling and melting points, the small size of hydrogen also affects its density, which is the lowest among all elements. This means that hydrogen gas is much lighter than air and can easily escape into the atmosphere.

5. Can the small size of hydrogen explain its use as a fuel source?

Yes, the small size of hydrogen makes it a highly efficient fuel source. It has a high energy-to-weight ratio, meaning a small amount of hydrogen can produce a lot of energy. Additionally, when burned, hydrogen produces only water vapor as a byproduct, making it a cleaner alternative to fossil fuels.