1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why i-hat, j-hat, k-hat

1. Jun 20, 2011 #1

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why are i, j, and k perfered in many texts to represent the 3 spacial dimensions instead of (what seems to me to be more intuitive) x, y, and z?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2011 #2

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

4. Jun 21, 2011 #3

DrGreg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

By convention, i, j, k are vectors. x, y, z are coordinates. So you might have (in a cartesian coordinate system)
    [tex]\textbf{r} = x\textbf{i} + y\textbf{j} + z\textbf{k} [/tex]
    Follow Nabeshin's link for more.

5. Jun 21, 2011 #4
    It's just a convention. There's no special reason for it, probably other than the fact that they are less confusing than using [tex]\mathbf{ \hat{x}}[/tex] [tex]\mathbf{ \hat{y}}[/tex] and [tex]\mathbf{ \hat{z}}[/tex]

6. Jun 21, 2011 #5
    More than that, they are unit vectors.

x. y and z extend from minus infinity to plus infinity.

7. Jul 7, 2011 #6

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry, I kinda lost track of this thread, even thought it was my question. I was just tutoring someone in Physics, and her teacher used x-hat, y-hat, and z-hat. But unit vectors make total sense. Thanks everyone for the replies.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook