Why I Love My Vibrations Professor

In summary, my vibrations professor is hilarious and makes us laugh while teaching us important material. He always has interesting jokes and stories to tell in class. He is also very strict, and if you don't earn an A on your final, you're required to go home and cry. However, he also says that if you're successful in your career, you can still be an engineer, just not in his class.
Cyrus
I love my vibrations professor, he is simply the best. He always makes jokes in class. In one lecture he showed us a website to buy vibrations mounts from, he said "this website is like american express, don't leave home without it" Then when he was doing something in MATLAB he said, 'you know colt 45, well this is ode45, its very powerful like the gun'. He always says these things randomly, which is not funny, unless you see how dead serious he is and then he blerts out these things. He tells us were not allowed to sleep until finals are over, and that if we are tired we should go to the beach, aka quit engineering. If the homework is hard and you go to his office, he says we should go get a cup of tea and think about the problem.

Today he said the funniest thing ever though, as it was our last day. He said, well the semester is over. We went through a lot of material, I had nice notes on the board, power point, hard homeworks, matlab, websites. If you don't get an A you should go home, look at yourself in the mirror, and cry. And don't come to me about your grade becuase what you get is final.

Then he said: "For some of you, I wish all the best in the future for engineering, for others I wish you all the best in your career, Just not as engineers"

And he left. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I LOVE THIS GUY! (Everyone says he's the hardest, but best damn teacher around, so I am taking dynamics with him again next semster)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Whose site is that? TMC, CSA, Newport?

cyrusabdollahi said:
I love my vibrations professor, he is simply the best. He always makes jokes in class. In one lecture he showed us a website to buy vibrations mounts from, he said "this website is like american express, don't leave home without it" Then when he was doing something in MATLAB he said, 'you know colt 45, well this is ode45, its very powerful like the gun'. He always says these things randomly, which is not funny, unless you see how dead serious he is and then he blerts out these things. He tells us were not allowed to sleep until finals are over, and that if we are tired we should go to the beach, aka quit engineering. If the homework is hard and you go to his office, he says we should go get a cup of tea and think about the problem.

Today he said the funniest thing ever though, as it was our last day. He said, well the semester is over. We went through a lot of material, I had nice notes on the board, power point, hard homeworks, matlab, websites. If you don't get an A you should go home, look at yourself in the mirror, and cry. And don't come to me about your grade becuase what you get is final.

Then he said: "For some of you, I wish all the best in the future for engineering, for others I wish you all the best in your career, Just not as engineers"

And he left. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I LOVE THIS GUY! (Everyone says he's the hardest, but best damn teacher around, so I am taking dynamics with him again next semster)

We have a similar teacher here who also teaches vibrations and dynamics :biggrin:. I don't think he's as funny though. Where do you go to school? They don't teach an undergrad vibrations class here which sucks because I'll have to learn it on my own during the summer so I can be competent in grad school next year.

I misread the title, needless to say I was quite disappointed :cry:

mattmns said:

:rofl: It does make engineering sound more appealing though, doesn't it? :biggrin:

I had a math professor like this. She liked to say that we can sleep when we die, but for the rest of the semester we're hers!

[yes, we actually had entire semesters back then]

Ivan Seeking said:
[yes, we actually had entire semesters back then]

As opposed to...? :confused:

Quarters?

I thought everyone was using the quarter system now.

I've never heard of anywhere that has quarters, we have semesters where I am.

Ivan Seeking said:
Quarters?

I thought everyone was using the quarter system now.

Nope. The first and only time I ran into quarters was in Cincinnati. I never knew when classes were beginning or ending, because they seemed to be having final exams too soon after starting. I didn't like it at all, since it seemed you couldn't really get much accomplished, and for real classes, they just had to offer them over 2 quarters anyway, effectively still making it a semester class, but graded twice.

The system at the med school here boggles my mind though. They seem to have the "whenever we feel like it" system. They have some classes starting while other classes are ongoing and ending. Some meet for 12 weeks once or twice a week, and others for 7 weeks daily. Everything else is on a semester system as far as I know.

Hmppfff... you buggers sucked all of the fun out of this one before I could even get my mitts on it... :grumpy:

scorpa said:
I've never heard of anywhere that has quarters, we have semesters where I am.
Both undergrad and grad school on quarters. Although, my undergrad school converted to semesters in my senior year.

We had a computer glitch on the website that shows what teacher is teaching what. It made one guy teaching 14 courses this semester two of which were at the same day and time. It changed the name of my Vibrations professor to this guy in the process, so I emailed my prof. asking him what happened. His reply

Hi Cyrus:
Yes, Tustedo computer has crashed. Dont worry, you can not escape from me.
See you January 25th at 5PM in rm 3106.

:rofl: :rofl:

I remember my calculus teacher in my second semester, reacting to some jerks who were laughing around during the class, saying something like that:

'Could you please stop chattering? I mean, you can leave and go get a cup of coffee or something. Or, you could drink a bottle of poison, which would definitely be better both for you and for all of us. It would look like this:'

And then he drew a small bottle of poison with a jolly-roger-like skull on the board.

:rofl:

:rofl: Nice.

Moonbear said:
The system at the med school here boggles my mind though. They seem to have the "whenever we feel like it" system. They have some classes starting while other classes are ongoing and ending. Some meet for 12 weeks once or twice a week, and others for 7 weeks daily. Everything else is on a semester system as far as I know.

For a while I was simultaneously taking classes at one school that was on quarter system and another school that was on semesters. It was nice because midterms and finals did not all clump up together. On the other hand, it seemed like I had a major test in something almost every week!

I am on the quarter system now at UCLA. I think all the UCs are on quarters are except for Berkeley.

mattmns said:

I did the same :frown:

1. Why is having a positive relationship with my vibrations professor important?

Having a positive relationship with your vibrations professor is important because it allows for effective communication, a better learning experience, and potential opportunities for mentorship or research collaborations.

2. How can my vibrations professor impact my academic and professional career?

Your vibrations professor can have a significant impact on your academic and professional career by providing guidance and support, writing recommendation letters, and introducing you to potential job opportunities or research projects.

3. What qualities should I look for in a vibrations professor?

When choosing a vibrations professor, look for someone who is knowledgeable and passionate about the subject, approachable and willing to help, and has a good track record of teaching and mentoring students.

4. How can I build a strong relationship with my vibrations professor?

To build a strong relationship with your vibrations professor, attend their office hours, actively participate in class, and show a genuine interest in the subject. You can also ask for advice or assistance, and keep in touch after the class ends.

5. What should I do if I am struggling in my vibrations class?

If you are struggling in your vibrations class, do not hesitate to reach out to your professor for help. They may offer additional resources or provide one-on-one support. It is also important to seek help early and stay on top of your coursework.