Why I missed a minus sign?

• A
  • Thread starter nenyan
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I am reading GEOMETRY, TOPOLOGY AND PHYSICS writen by MIKIO NAKAHARA (second edition). I have a problem on page 400.
I wonder why the sign is minus in Eq. (10.85).

And the same problem appears on page 405 in Eq.(10.108). I think it should be minus one half.

Attachments

Answers and Replies

vanhees71
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Have you considered that with the standard definition (at least in the HEP community) ##\epsilon^{\mu \nu \rho \sigma}=\text{sign}(\mu,\nu,\rho,\sigma)## the covariant components of the Levi-Civita (pseudo-)tensor reads
$$\epsilon_{\alpha \beta \gamma \delta}=\eta_{\alpha \mu} \eta_{\beta \nu} \eta_{\gamma \rho} \eta_{\delta \sigma} \epsilon^{\mu \nu \rho \sigma}=\det \eta \epsilon^{\alpha \beta \gamma \delta}=-\epsilon^{\alpha \beta \gamma \delta},$$
because ##\eta=\mathrm{diag}(1,-1,-1,-1)## (or in the east-coast convention ##\mathrm{diag}(-1,1,1,1)##).

Likes nenyan
Have you considered that with the standard definition (at least in the HEP community) ##\epsilon^{\mu \nu \rho \sigma}=\text{sign}(\mu,\nu,\rho,\sigma)## the covariant components of the Levi-Civita (pseudo-)tensor reads
$$\epsilon_{\alpha \beta \gamma \delta}=\eta_{\alpha \mu} \eta_{\beta \nu} \eta_{\gamma \rho} \eta_{\delta \sigma} \epsilon^{\mu \nu \rho \sigma}=\det \eta \epsilon^{\alpha \beta \gamma \delta}=-\epsilon^{\alpha \beta \gamma \delta},$$
because ##\eta=\mathrm{diag}(1,-1,-1,-1)## (or in the east-coast convention ##\mathrm{diag}(-1,1,1,1)##).
Thank you! I see.