Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why if the sum of a number's digits is divisible by 3, that no. is divisible by 3?

1. Jan 7, 2010 #1
    Two questions:

1. We add the digits of any number. If the sum is divisible by 3, then that number is divisible by 3. Why?

2. Does this work for a number of more than 2 digits?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2010 #2

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Why if the sum of a number's digits is divisible by 3, that no. is divisible by 3

Yes.

Because 10 = 1 (mod 9).

Consider doing long division on a number:

Your first step will be to see if 9 goes into a. If it does, then the number is
    abcde... = 9000... + bcde...
    which is divisible by 9 exactly if bcde... is. Otherwise, see how many times 9 goes into ab (that is, 10a + b). Clearly at least a times, right? Then you'll write a above the bar and subtract 9a from 10a + b, which is a + b. But now you're just adding the digits up. You can continue this process, getting (a + b + c)de..., (a + b + c + d)e..., and so on. It's 'easy to see' that this works. A formal proof is by induction.

4. Jan 8, 2010 #3
    Re: Why if the sum of a number's digits is divisible by 3, that no. is divisible by 3

First prove by induction that every number of the form [tex]10^{n}-1[/tex] is divisible by 3. Then Notice that every number can be written via decimal representation:

[tex]x=\sum^{N}_{i=0}x_{i}10^{i}=\sum^{N}_{i=0}x_{i}+\sum^{N}_{i=0}x_{i}(10^{i}-1)[/tex]

The second sum is a number divisible by three (you've proven it), so the only remaining condition for x to be divisible by three is that the first sum is. But that's just saying the sum of the digits is divisible by three.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook