1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why I'm silent

1. Jun 1, 2008 #1
    Dear Chatters, I did enter the chat today at 5:36 GMT. Unfortunately it's from my working position (I'm on 24/7 shifts) and this computer blocks part of the chat. I can't talk just read.

Sorry

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That kind of stinks. Firewalls!

4. Jun 1, 2008 #3

turbo

Gold Member

Hack Andre's server! Free the Pooh-bear!

5. Jun 1, 2008 #4
    Right, unfortunately I don't have administrator privileges. I'm stuck

6. Jun 1, 2008 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

24/7 shifts? Are you in a sweatshop, Andre?

7. Jun 1, 2008 #6

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I attempted to chat but I had other duties. Sorry to hear you couldn't join in Andre.

8. Jun 1, 2008 #7

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Chat closed.

9. Jun 1, 2008 #8

turbo

Gold Member

Some jobs are full-time on-call. Fireman comes to mind. Everybody tries to exercise, eat, rest, etc, but must remain on-site to be available for fast response. Here, only the very largest towns can afford such a department, and the people living at the station (when they are on-duty) are highly-trained professionals who maintain all the equipment, trucks, pumps, hoses, safety gear, etc. The remainder of the force is made of volunteers who respond from their homes and work-places via pager calls.

10. Jun 1, 2008 #9
    Luckily not, I'm doing something with radars, remember? That is the output of a few dozens of them. And guards duties are full time. Occasionally it's on Sundays.

11. Jun 1, 2008 #10

turbo

Gold Member

BTW, as the lead operator on a new high-speed paper machine years back, we had 13-man crews and were insufficiently trained to allow people to step up into the next position on the machine, so if my relief failed to show up for any reason, I was in for a 24-hour stint instead of the normal 12. 24 hours with no sleep working with a huge machine that can suck you in at 40 mph and turn you into mush is not a good thing.

12. Jun 1, 2008 #11

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was just kidding. :wink:

I figured it was something involving constant vigilance.

13. Jun 2, 2008 #12

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I hope your relief was reprimanded severely if he didn't have a really good excuse!

14. Jun 2, 2008 #13
    I knew that. ESOH has been noted before :approve:

15. Jun 2, 2008 #14

turbo

Gold Member

Valid or not, the person relieving me would always have an excuse. Of course, they could be caught in a similar situation if their next relief didn't come in for work, so they didn't often play games with absenteeism. Our contract stipulated a written warning for an unexplained (or unsubstantiated) absence, suspension off without pay for a second such absence, and termination for a third offense.

16. Jun 8, 2008 #15
    Unfortunately same problem today. Have to cover for somebody. :frown:

17. Jun 8, 2008 #16
    ask the company what the down time would be worth.
    Like if two people were to be hurt in a car crash.
    Would that shut everything down. At what cost?
    Less than a few trained people?

18. Jun 8, 2008 #17
    I'm afraid it's a bit more complicated than that.

19. Jun 8, 2008 #18

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Sorry to hear that Andre.. hope to see you again in chat sometime soon!

20. Jun 8, 2008 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've been away from chat too. Last week I was on a plane returning home from HI (they had to drag me on kicking and screaming...I didn't want to go home! :biggrin:). Today, I'm just too busy with work-related stuff to distract myself with chat (just on PF for a short time as it is, doing "the rounds" and getting my PF "fix" while having a cup of coffee and getting some fresh air with my laptop outside so I don't go entirely beserk, then back inside to get work done again).

I really hope by next week I can get some free time for chat again, but then I have yet another presentation to work on that I planned to start on this week, but got pushed aside for a different one scheduled sooner than expected...:cry:

Greg better get all the upgrades done this week while I can't be around much anyway so when I'm able to spend more time here, there aren't any downtimes or glitches to keep me away!

21. Jun 9, 2008 #20
    [ctrl] [alt] [del] fixes all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?