Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why I'm silent

1. Jun 1, 2008 #1
    Dear Chatters, I did enter the chat today at 5:36 GMT. Unfortunately it's from my working position (I'm on 24/7 shifts) and this computer blocks part of the chat. I can't talk just read.

Sorry

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That kind of stinks. Firewalls!

4. Jun 1, 2008 #3

turbo

Gold Member

Hack Andre's server! Free the Pooh-bear!

5. Jun 1, 2008 #4
    Right, unfortunately I don't have administrator privileges. I'm stuck

6. Jun 1, 2008 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

24/7 shifts? Are you in a sweatshop, Andre?

7. Jun 1, 2008 #6

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I attempted to chat but I had other duties. Sorry to hear you couldn't join in Andre.

8. Jun 1, 2008 #7

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Chat closed.

9. Jun 1, 2008 #8

turbo

Gold Member

Some jobs are full-time on-call. Fireman comes to mind. Everybody tries to exercise, eat, rest, etc, but must remain on-site to be available for fast response. Here, only the very largest towns can afford such a department, and the people living at the station (when they are on-duty) are highly-trained professionals who maintain all the equipment, trucks, pumps, hoses, safety gear, etc. The remainder of the force is made of volunteers who respond from their homes and work-places via pager calls.

10. Jun 1, 2008 #9
    Luckily not, I'm doing something with radars, remember? That is the output of a few dozens of them. And guards duties are full time. Occasionally it's on Sundays.

11. Jun 1, 2008 #10

turbo

Gold Member

BTW, as the lead operator on a new high-speed paper machine years back, we had 13-man crews and were insufficiently trained to allow people to step up into the next position on the machine, so if my relief failed to show up for any reason, I was in for a 24-hour stint instead of the normal 12. 24 hours with no sleep working with a huge machine that can suck you in at 40 mph and turn you into mush is not a good thing.

12. Jun 1, 2008 #11

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was just kidding. :wink:

I figured it was something involving constant vigilance.

13. Jun 2, 2008 #12

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I hope your relief was reprimanded severely if he didn't have a really good excuse!

14. Jun 2, 2008 #13
    I knew that. ESOH has been noted before :approve:

15. Jun 2, 2008 #14

turbo

Gold Member

Valid or not, the person relieving me would always have an excuse. Of course, they could be caught in a similar situation if their next relief didn't come in for work, so they didn't often play games with absenteeism. Our contract stipulated a written warning for an unexplained (or unsubstantiated) absence, suspension off without pay for a second such absence, and termination for a third offense.

16. Jun 8, 2008 #15
    Unfortunately same problem today. Have to cover for somebody. :frown:

17. Jun 8, 2008 #16
    ask the company what the down time would be worth.
    Like if two people were to be hurt in a car crash.
    Would that shut everything down. At what cost?
    Less than a few trained people?

18. Jun 8, 2008 #17
    I'm afraid it's a bit more complicated than that.

19. Jun 8, 2008 #18

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Sorry to hear that Andre.. hope to see you again in chat sometime soon!

20. Jun 8, 2008 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've been away from chat too. Last week I was on a plane returning home from HI (they had to drag me on kicking and screaming...I didn't want to go home! :biggrin:). Today, I'm just too busy with work-related stuff to distract myself with chat (just on PF for a short time as it is, doing "the rounds" and getting my PF "fix" while having a cup of coffee and getting some fresh air with my laptop outside so I don't go entirely beserk, then back inside to get work done again).

I really hope by next week I can get some free time for chat again, but then I have yet another presentation to work on that I planned to start on this week, but got pushed aside for a different one scheduled sooner than expected...:cry:

Greg better get all the upgrades done this week while I can't be around much anyway so when I'm able to spend more time here, there aren't any downtimes or glitches to keep me away!

21. Jun 9, 2008 #20
    [ctrl] [alt] [del] fixes all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?