Why in first order logic theories are not possible a demonstration with infinite steps?

In summary, the conversation discusses the limitations of first order logic theories in demonstrating infinite steps. The use of finite steps is necessary in constructing a proof and the concept of "non standard" models in first order language is difficult to express.
Garrulo
Why in first order logic theories are not possible a demonstration with infinite steps?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Since sentences (closed wff) are finitely formed.

I don´t understand your answer. Could it be you most widespread explanation? Sorry for my bad english. I think that transfinite steps in a proof are imposible, cause the induction rules uses one or two hypothesis only (modus ponens and introducing quantizer), but, what about non standard natural numbers from first order logic. Thanks anyway

So you meant why do syntactical proofs have finite steps and not infinite steps in their proof; well at some point you need to infer your conclusion, and this occurs after finite steps, otherwise you cannot construct a proof, since the conclusion is the last step in a proof, you cannot construct an infinite steps' proof, since there's no last step where you conclude your conclusion.
This should also work in non standard analysis.

Ok. But the problem I see is that demostration could have non standard steps, because for first order logic is impossible let she the non standard models of the a theory in first order language

Garrulo said:
Ok. But the problem I see is that demostration could have non standard steps, because for first order logic is impossible let she the non standard models out of a theory in first order language
No infinite step, only finite steps but infinity pases

It's hard to understand you, what do you mean by: infinity pases?

infinite steps, sorry. But I refer to a demostration in a number non standard natural numbers finite of steps

Garrulo said:
No infinite step, only finite steps but infinity pases

Garrulo said:
infinite steps, sorry. But I refer to a demostration in a number non standard natural numbers finite of steps
I recognize that English is not your native language, but frankly, what you have written is pretty much incomprehensible, especially "infinity pases" and "a number non standard natural numbers finite of steps". These make no sense.

Other way: why not a formal demostration in a non standard natural numbers steps?

Garrulo said:
Other way: why not a formal demostration in a non standard natural numbers steps?
I still don't get what you're asking. What do you mean by "non standard natural numbers steps"?

In the first order version of Peano axioms, there are the number to count real objects...1,2,3...but there are models for the PA theory in first order that contains non standard numbers that metamathematically are infinite, but in first order language are "finite". There is no way to free of non standard models to theories expressed in first order languages. If we work inside a first order theory, ¿how can we drop the non standards models, cause the adjective "non standard" is inexpressible in first order language theories formulates ?

1. Why can't first order logic theories be demonstrated with infinite steps?

First order logic, also known as predicate logic, is a formal system used to represent and reason about relationships between objects. In this system, proofs are constructed by applying a finite set of inference rules to a set of axioms. Since infinite steps would require an infinite number of inference rules and axioms to be applied, it is not possible to demonstrate first order logic theories with infinite steps.

2. Can't we just keep adding more axioms and inference rules to accommodate infinite steps?

Even if we were to add an infinite number of axioms and inference rules, the resulting system would still not be able to demonstrate first order logic theories with infinite steps. This is because the process of applying rules and axioms is inherently finite, and cannot be extended infinitely.

3. What about using a computer to demonstrate first order logic theories with infinite steps?

While computers are capable of performing a large number of computations, they still operate within a finite system. This means that even with the help of a computer, it is not possible to demonstrate first order logic theories with infinite steps.

4. Are there any alternative systems that can handle infinite steps?

There are other formal systems, such as higher order logic or infinitary logic, that are designed to handle infinite steps. However, these systems are more complex and have their own limitations and drawbacks.

5. Why is it important to limit the number of steps in a proof?

Limiting the number of steps in a proof is important because it ensures that the proof is sound and valid. Without this limitation, it would be possible to construct proofs that are not logically valid, which would undermine the entire purpose of using logic as a tool for reasoning and understanding the world.