Why in hot weather dry streets can appear to be wet?

In summary, the article explains how hot air affects the index of refraction and how this can result in the appearance of a wet street.
Steph
I'm studying interference and optics at the moment - can anyone explain why in hot weather dry streets can appear to be wet?

Physics news on Phys.org
is this homework?

The key is that the index of refraction of air is temperature dependent.

Hello Steph,

directly above the street, there
is a layer of hot air, and above it, warm air.
The optical density of the hot air is smaller than that of the warm air.
Because of that, total reflectance occurs.
The street looks wet, because the light from the horizon sky doesn't
reach the street, but is directly reflected to your eye.
It's like looking into a mirror.

o_______________________o
__o___________________o
____o_______________o
______o___________o
________o_______o
__________o___o
____________o________WARM AIR
---------------------------------------------------
_____________________HOT AIR (optically thinner than above)
---------------------------------------------------
_____________________STREET

Last edited:
Edgardo,
Your explanation leaves something to be desired. After responding to this question I was driving down a since straight road observing the "mirages" in the road ahead. By you explanation, since I was a significant distance down the road sitting in a pretty low car, and if the angle of reflection were equal to the angle of incidence, why was I observing the reflection of the sky and not oncoming cars on the other side of the mirage?

Hello Integral,

have you seen the sky-reflection in front of the car? Then
the angles are not equal as you say. However, my explanation is simplified,
since the index of refraction changes continuously (there are not just
two layers with different optical densities, but the optical density rather changes continuously).

I searched on google (keyword: Fata Morgana) and found this link:
http://www.schremmer.de/Atmosphare/Fata_morgana_1/body_fata_morgana_1.html
In these pics the reflections also show the cars.

The car, that you were observing, was it very far away?

@Steph: This phenomenon is also called a Fata Morgana

Thanks - that's been really interesting. I'd seen the idea of a tree appearing to be below the horizon, but I'd not linked the two together atall. I looked on google too and found lots of sites to read through - thanks.

1. Why do dry streets sometimes appear to be wet in hot weather?

This phenomenon is known as a mirage. It occurs when light passing through a hot surface, such as a road, is refracted due to differences in air density. This creates an optical illusion that makes the road appear wet.

2. Does the temperature of the road affect the appearance of a mirage?

Yes, the temperature of the road plays a crucial role in the formation of a mirage. The hotter the surface, the greater the difference in air density and the stronger the refraction of light, resulting in a more pronounced mirage effect.

3. Why do we see mirages more commonly on roads than on other surfaces?

Roads are typically made of dark materials, such as asphalt, that absorb heat from the sun and reach high temperatures. This makes them ideal for creating the temperature gradient necessary for a mirage to occur.

4. Can mirages be seen in any type of weather?

Mirages are most commonly seen in hot weather, but they can also occur in cold weather. In cold weather, the opposite effect occurs, where cold air near the ground causes light to bend upwards, creating an illusion of objects appearing higher than they actually are.

5. Are mirages only seen on roads?

No, mirages can occur on any surface with a significant temperature gradient. This includes pavement, sand, and even water. In fact, the term "mirage" comes from the Latin word "mirari" which means "to look at with admiration" and was originally used to describe illusions seen on the surface of water.