1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why introduce a constant?

1. Jul 11, 2009 #1
    My proff mentioned something about proportionality:
    "To make an a proportionality into an equality, we must introduce a constant"
    Something along those words: my question is why? Can show prove this to me??

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2009 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am not aware of any proof of the concept, but I can offer a reason. Consider the statement "y is proportional to x". This means that a finite change in x induces a finite change in y. The size of the change in y depends on the size of the change in x. Now to quantify it, we need to introduce the so-called constant of proportionality. It is this constant that determines how big the change in y is for a given change in x.

For example, take the equation y = 3x. Clearly y is proportional to x and if x changes by +1, then y changes by +3. Equally, consider the equation y = 2x. Once again, y is clearly proportional to x, but this time for each integer step of x, y changes by 2.

This is why we need to introduce such constants. More technically, a proportionality defines a family of curves, by fixing the constant of proportionality (as well as the additive constant) you are effectively choosing a single curve from the family.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook