Is (-1)^2 always equal to 1?

• Thread starter hunt_mat
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the question of why (-1)^2=1 and provides different proofs and explanations. The conversation also touches on different number systems and their properties, including the importance of multiplicative inverses and the use of negative numbers in finance.
hunt_mat
Homework Helper
I have to teach an elementary mathematics course next term to people who don't have A-level maths and I am not too sure where to start from. One of the questions that popped into my head was why was [tex](-1)^{2}=1[/tex]? I can show it's postive quite easily but I don't know if it is 1 by definition or not.

Mat

Physics news on Phys.org
1 + (-1) = 0, because 1 and -1 are additive inverses.
1(1 + (-1)) = 1(0) = 0, because 1 is the multiplicative inverse.
It must also be true that -[1(1 + (-1))] = 0, because 0 is its own additive inverse.
On the other hand, -1(1 + (-1)) = -1(1) + (-1)(-1), due to the distributive law.
So we have -1(1) + (-1)(-1) = -1 + (-1)(-1) = 0, from which we see that (-1)(-1) = 1. The only number I can add to -1 to get 0 is its additive inverse, + 1.
Therefore, (-1)(-1) = 1.

Mark44 said:
1 + (-1) = 0, because 1 and -1 are additive inverses.
1(1 + (-1)) = 1(0) = 0, because 1 is the multiplicative inverse.
1(1 + (-1)) = 1(0) = 0, because 1 is the multiplicative identity.

If you are doing an axiomatic treatment of the integers, you define 1 to be the multiplicative identity. -1 is defined to be the additive inverse of 1 (so 1 + -1 = 0).

-1*-1 = -1*(-1 + 0) [Use that 0 is the additive identity]
-1*(-1 + 0) = -1*(-1 + (1 + -1)) [Use that 0 = 1 + -1]
-1*(-1 + (1 + -1)) = -1*-1 + -1*1 + -1*-1 [Distribution]

This gives us that -1*-1 = -1*-1 + -1*1 + -1*-1

If we assume that the additive identity is unique, then -1*-1 + -1*1 must be the additive identity.

We have now that 0 = -1*-1 + -1 [Remember, -1*1 = -1]

Then -1 is the additive inverse of -1*-1. If we assume additive inverses are unique, then since -1 is also the additive inverse of 1, it follows that -1*-1 = 1.

I'm sure there's an easier way though!

Ah, looking at Mark44's post, there is a nicer way.

First we prove 0*0 = 0.

This is true because 0*0 = 0*(0+0) = 0*0 + 0*0. By uniqueness of the additive identity, 0*0 = 0.

Also, 1 + -1 = 0, by definition.

Thus (1 + -1)*(1 + -1) = 0.

Distribution gives us (1*1 + -1*1) + (1*-1 + -1*-1) = 0,
or... (1 + -1) + (-1 + -1*-1) = 0.

-1*-1 is then the additive inverse of -1, so -1*-1 = 1.This avoids the trickiness of saying -[1(1 + (-1))] = -1(1 + -1). But really there are a lot of ways to prove it. Technically, I don't even think uniqueness of inverses and identities is assumed!

You guys are way overthinking.
You have 1*1=1. No disputes there.
Then -1*1=-1, since 1 is the multiplicative identity.
Then -1*-1 can't be the same thing as 1*-1 otherwise -1=1,
so -1*-1=1. This is the treatment given in Euler's Elements of Algebra, Art.33
Just that simple.

Aother treatment is to view -1 as an operator that flips quantities across the y-axis. So -1*2=-2 means -1 takes the point at 2 on the x-axis and flips it to -2. Then -1*-1*2 flips 2 back to its original position. But I think the first way is the best.

dimitri151, why couldn't -1*-1 be some number other than -1 or 1? Why not 0 or 2?

There's no question about the absolute value of the product, only of the sign. You agree that for a and b positive a*b=ab, and that for a positive, b negative for example you have a*-b=-ab. So why would you wonder what -a*-b would be without regard to the sign?

Look at it like this, say the product is an area, and you can visualize the area by taking a on the x-axis and b on the y-axis, with positive a being on the positive x-axis, negative a on the negative x-axis, positive b on the positive y-axis, and so forth, and then erecting perpendiculars from each point so that they meet in their mutual quadrant. If you take -1 on the x axis, and -1 on the y-axis, no one seriously disputes that the area will be other than a unit area. Only the sign needs to be determined which is done as above.

There is a number system where -1 * -1 = 2. Lots of them, in fact. There's one where -1 * -1 = -1.

I don't know of the utility of any of these number systems, though. They must have "bad" properties -- e.g. maybe the distributive law fails sometimes.

The first, uncontroversial application of negative numbers was in finance. If you're tallying up entries in your ledger, what is the effect of striking out one debt of $1? This would be a product with both terms noted via sign and magnitude -- you gain -1 * -1 dollars.

I suppose way back then, it might have been more mainstream to treat adding one debt of $1 and removing one debt of $1 as two totally different things, rather than the same kind of thing just with different signs, so I guess you wouldn't have seen sign and magnitude on both factors.

hunt_mat said:
I have to teach an elementary mathematics course next term to people who don't have A-level maths

Somehow I doubt everything what was told above won't be wasted on people who think squaring the number means drawing a square around.

Wow, I never expected this amount of response! Thanks. Borek, this is the first course I have been asked to teach, so I want to be prepared as possible.

Cheers

D H said:
1(1 + (-1)) = 1(0) = 0, because 1 is the multiplicative identity.
My brain knows that, but apparently my fingers don't.

How about this? In a system where -1*-1=-1, what is the multiplicative inverse of -1, that is, what is x so that -1*x=1? If -1 doesn't have an inverse then the system isn't even a group.

Last edited:
dimitri151 said:
How about this? In a system where -1*-1=-1, what is the multiplicative inverse of -1, that is, what is x so that -1*x=1? If -1 doesn't have an inverse then the system isn't even a group.
Theorem: If G is a magma with elements -1 and 1, then at least one of the following fails:
  • G is a group
  • -1 * -1 = -1
  • 1 * -1 = -1
  • 1 and -1 are unequal

(A magma is simply a set with a binary operation)

I've got an idea, if it for elementary maths I'd imagine they know what a function is.

So why not draw [tex]f(x) = x^2[/tex] and show that [tex]f(-1) = (-1)^2 = 1[/tex] graphically :biggrin:

The representation of the function as a graph assumes what is to be demonstrated. If you define -1*-1=-1 then f(x)=x2 will look something like what the graph of y=x3 looks lke.

I have to teach them what a function is.

Is there a place on this site for people to upload their lecture notes for others? I have gone through all this effort to type up my notes in LaTeX I would want others to benefit from my hard work.

Mat

Refer to negative numbers and "the opposite" of positive numbers.
That is, the "opposite" of 3 is (-3)
Therefore, the "opposite" of (-3) is 3 (they are opposites of each other)

So, (-1) * X = (-X) = "the opposite of X"

For X = 5,
(-1) * 5 = (-5)
which can be shown using the definition of multiplication:
(-1) * 5 = (-1) + (-1) + (-1) + (-1) + (-1) = (-5)
this is the sum of five (-1)'s

This can be shown to be true for all X>0 (there is no such thing as negative 0)

Whatever mathematical rules hold true for positive numbers must also hold true for negative ones, so:

for X = (-5), we have:
(-1) * (-5) = -(-5) = 5 "the opposite of (-5)"

and for X = (-1), we get
(-1) * (-1) = -(-1) = "the opposite of (-1)" = 1

a/a = 1, a <>0, -1/-1 = 1

1. Why is -1 multiplied by -1 equal to 1?

The answer to this question lies in the basic rules of multiplication. When multiplying two negative numbers, the result is always positive. For example, -2 multiplied by -3 equals 6. This is because when we multiply a negative number by another negative number, we are essentially adding a certain number of groups of that negative number. For example, when we multiply -2 by -3, we are essentially adding -2 three times, which gives us a result of -6. However, since the two negative signs cancel each other out, the final answer is positive 6. Therefore, when we multiply -1 by -1, we are essentially adding -1 one time, which results in a final answer of 1.

2. Can you provide an example to illustrate why -1 multiplied by -1 equals 1?

Yes, let's take the equation -1*-1=1 and substitute -1 with a different number, such as -3. This would give us the equation -3*-1=3. Now, let's break this down and think about what it means to multiply -3 by -1. We are essentially adding -3 one time, which gives us a final answer of -3. However, since we have two negative signs, the final answer becomes positive 3, as the two negative signs cancel each other out. This illustrates the concept of multiplying two negative numbers and why the result is always positive.

3. How does this rule apply to other numbers besides -1?

The rule of multiplying two negative numbers resulting in a positive number applies to all negative numbers. This is a fundamental rule in mathematics and is known as the "multiplication property of opposites." For example, -2*-5=10 and -7*-9=63. This rule also applies when multiplying a negative number by a positive number, such as -4*3=-12. However, when multiplying two positive numbers, the result will always be positive.

4. Is there a mathematical explanation for why -1 multiplied by -1 equals 1?

Yes, there is a mathematical explanation for why this rule holds true. It is derived from the associative, commutative, and distributive properties of multiplication, which state that the order in which numbers are multiplied does not affect the final result. Therefore, when multiplying two negative numbers, we can "regroup" them in a way that makes it easier to understand why the result is always positive. For example, (-1)*(-1)=(-1)*(-1)=(-1)*(-1)=(-1)*(-1)=1.

5. Why is it important to understand why -1 multiplied by -1 equals 1?

Understanding this concept is important because it is a fundamental rule in mathematics and is used in various algebraic equations and problem-solving. It also helps us understand the relationship between negative and positive numbers and how they interact with each other in multiplication. Additionally, this rule is closely related to the concept of inverse operations, which is essential in solving equations and finding unknown variables. Overall, understanding why -1 multiplied by -1 equals 1 helps strengthen our understanding of basic mathematical principles and their applications.