Why is charge a scalar in physics?

In summary, the charge of an electron is considered a scalar because it has a constant magnitude and no direction. The +/- convention for charge is a useful way to represent opposites that attract and likes that repel, and it also allows for the addition of charges. In physics, charge is viewed as a scalar rather than a vector or tensor.
shangriphysics
Why is a charge from say an electron a scalar. It has a constant magnitude, and it has a direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
In what direction do you think it points?

Likes 1 person
Having a sign (+/-) is not the same as having direction unless you're looking at a 1-dimensional space.

Likes 1 person
The +/- convention, is only a proper and easy to use convention!
Its OK to say that the two kinds of charges are black/white, fool/wise, fat/thin and any other pair of opposite nouns. The only problem is finding a way so that mathematically opposites attract and likes repel, and that's easiest when we use +/- convention, so we use it! There is nothing about direction here!

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Shyan said:
The +/- convention, is only a proper and easy to use convention!
Its OK to say that the two kinds of charges are black/white, fool/wise, fat/thin and any other pair of opposite nouns. The only problem is finding a way so that mathematically opposites attract and likes repel, and that's easiest when we use +/- convention, so we use it! There is nothing about direction here!
No, it's a bit more than a convention. You can add charges, allowing charges of opposing signs to cancel appropriately. That's a genuine mathematical interpretation of the sign.

haruspex said:
No, it's a bit more than a convention. You can add charges, allowing charges of opposing signs to cancel appropriately. That's a genuine mathematical interpretation of the sign.

You can as well say a fool and a wise combined, make an ordinary person. Its just that the +/- convention needs no such additional weird construction.
I should add that the important role of mathematics in physics, makes the +/- convention also the most natural one, in addition to being an easy and proper one.

Last edited:
I suspect shangriphysics is using a dictionary definition of "scalar", such as "scalar - noun. (Mathematics, Physics). A quantity possessing only magnitude." (Source: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/scalar).

In physics (and this is a physics question), charge is a scalar rather than a vector or a tensor. In fact, it's all three; a scalar can be viewed as a one dimensional vector or a zeroth order tensor. However, we usually don't call one dimensional vectors "vectors". We call them scalars.

Likes 1 person
D H said:
I suspect shangriphysics is using a dictionary definition of "scalar", such as "scalar - noun. (Mathematics, Physics). A quantity possessing only magnitude." (Source: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/scalar).

In physics (and this is a physics question), charge is a scalar rather than a vector or a tensor. In fact, it's all three; a scalar can be viewed as a one dimensional vector or a zeroth order tensor. However, we usually don't call one dimensional vectors "vectors". We call them scalars.

I don't think that's correct because it means charge is something like a one dimensional position variable. But that's not true!
The +/- convention for electric charge is different from the +/- associated to different parts of the real line!

Ignoring that charge is quantized, charge is exactly "something like a one dimensional position variable".

Oh, I had this same question. This makes more sense now.

Thanks everyone for all your help! This is much clearer now to me!

D H said:

Now everything makes sense, I used to think (with similar reasoning) why energy can't be a vector.

Thanks, man!

1. What is a charge?

A charge refers to a property of matter that causes it to experience a force when placed in an electromagnetic field.

2. Is charge a vector or a scalar quantity?

Charge is a scalar quantity, meaning it has magnitude but does not have a specific direction in space.

3. Why is charge considered a scalar?

Charge is considered a scalar because it only has magnitude, and does not have a direction associated with it. This is in contrast to vector quantities, which have both magnitude and direction.

4. Can charge be negative?

Yes, charge can be either positive or negative. Objects with the same charge (either positive or negative) repel each other, while objects with different charges attract each other.

5. How is charge measured?

Charge is measured in coulombs (C). One coulomb is defined as the amount of charge transferred in one second by a current of one ampere (A).