1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is a charge a scalar?

1. Aug 14, 2014 #1
    Why is a charge from say an electron a scalar. It has a constant magnitude, and it has a direction.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2014 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

In what direction do you think it points?

4. Aug 14, 2014 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Having a sign (+/-) is not the same as having direction unless you're looking at a 1-dimensional space.

5. Aug 15, 2014 #4

ShayanJ

Gold Member

The +/- convention, is only a proper and easy to use convention!!!
    Its OK to say that the two kinds of charges are black/white, fool/wise, fat/thin and any other pair of opposite nouns. The only problem is finding a way so that mathematically opposites attract and likes repel, and that's easiest when we use +/- convention, so we use it! There is nothing about direction here!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  6. Aug 15, 2014 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, it's a bit more than a convention. You can add charges, allowing charges of opposing signs to cancel appropriately. That's a genuine mathematical interpretation of the sign.

7. Aug 15, 2014 #6

ShayanJ

Gold Member

You can as well say a fool and a wise combined, make an ordinary person. Its just that the +/- convention needs no such additional weird construction.
    I should add that the important role of mathematics in physics, makes the +/- convention also the most natural one, in addition to being an easy and proper one.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  8. Aug 15, 2014 #7

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I suspect shangriphysics is using a dictionary definition of "scalar", such as "scalar - noun. (Mathematics, Physics). A quantity possessing only magnitude." (Source: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/scalar).

In physics (and this is a physics question), charge is a scalar rather than a vector or a tensor. In fact, it's all three; a scalar can be viewed as a one dimensional vector or a zeroth order tensor. However, we usually don't call one dimensional vectors "vectors". We call them scalars.

9. Aug 15, 2014 #8

ShayanJ

Gold Member

I don't think that's correct because it means charge is something like a one dimensional position variable. But that's not true!
    The +/- convention for electric charge is different from the +/- associated to different parts of the real line!

10. Aug 15, 2014 #9

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Ignoring that charge is quantized, charge is exactly "something like a one dimensional position variable".

11. Aug 15, 2014 #10
    Oh, I had this same question. This makes more sense now.

12. Aug 15, 2014 #11
    Thanks everyone for all your help! This is much clearer now to me!

13. Aug 16, 2014 #12
    Now everything makes sense, I used to think (with similar reasoning) why energy can't be a vector.

Thanks, man!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook