Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is a charge a scalar?

1. Aug 14, 2014 #1
    Why is a charge from say an electron a scalar. It has a constant magnitude, and it has a direction.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2014 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

In what direction do you think it points?

4. Aug 14, 2014 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Having a sign (+/-) is not the same as having direction unless you're looking at a 1-dimensional space.

5. Aug 15, 2014 #4

ShayanJ

Gold Member

The +/- convention, is only a proper and easy to use convention!!!
    Its OK to say that the two kinds of charges are black/white, fool/wise, fat/thin and any other pair of opposite nouns. The only problem is finding a way so that mathematically opposites attract and likes repel, and that's easiest when we use +/- convention, so we use it! There is nothing about direction here!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  6. Aug 15, 2014 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, it's a bit more than a convention. You can add charges, allowing charges of opposing signs to cancel appropriately. That's a genuine mathematical interpretation of the sign.

7. Aug 15, 2014 #6

ShayanJ

Gold Member

You can as well say a fool and a wise combined, make an ordinary person. Its just that the +/- convention needs no such additional weird construction.
    I should add that the important role of mathematics in physics, makes the +/- convention also the most natural one, in addition to being an easy and proper one.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  8. Aug 15, 2014 #7

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I suspect shangriphysics is using a dictionary definition of "scalar", such as "scalar - noun. (Mathematics, Physics). A quantity possessing only magnitude." (Source: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/scalar).

In physics (and this is a physics question), charge is a scalar rather than a vector or a tensor. In fact, it's all three; a scalar can be viewed as a one dimensional vector or a zeroth order tensor. However, we usually don't call one dimensional vectors "vectors". We call them scalars.

9. Aug 15, 2014 #8

ShayanJ

Gold Member

I don't think that's correct because it means charge is something like a one dimensional position variable. But that's not true!
    The +/- convention for electric charge is different from the +/- associated to different parts of the real line!

10. Aug 15, 2014 #9

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Ignoring that charge is quantized, charge is exactly "something like a one dimensional position variable".

11. Aug 15, 2014 #10
    Oh, I had this same question. This makes more sense now.

12. Aug 15, 2014 #11
    Thanks everyone for all your help! This is much clearer now to me!

13. Aug 16, 2014 #12
    Now everything makes sense, I used to think (with similar reasoning) why energy can't be a vector.

Thanks, man!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook