Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is a solid, so solid?

1. Oct 14, 2014 #1
    I was wondering this question the other day and have read a few websites but a lot of it goes over my head. I have two questions, can anyone explain in relatively simple terms? I am happy to read the more detailed science behind the concepts, but need the concepts to be stated pretty plainly.

What makes a solid, solid?
    Why, if I place one solid on another, do they not merge? In other words, what maintains the individual identity of two blocks of lead even when placed together? A fluid of the same kind of course does merge.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2014 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Solids are held together by chemical bonds.

4. Oct 14, 2014 #3
    Yes, but why do the molecules in one lump of lead bond to each other, but not to the adjacent lump of lead? What makes the boundary so distinct and persistent?

5. Oct 14, 2014 #4

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They might, given a clean smooth surface:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_welding

Surface impurities and lack of consistent contact due to uneven surfaces.

6. Oct 14, 2014 #5
    Well, I'll be... I was actually going to pose the question how my lumps would go if placed on one on top of the other in a vacuum. I hadn't thought of the surface irregularities angle, but I figured a vacuum would remove any possibility for air/liquid obstruction. I like this bit: "The reason for this unexpected behavior is that when the atoms in contact are all of the same kind, there is no way for the atoms to “know” that they are in different pieces of copper. When there are other atoms, in the oxides and greases and more complicated thin surface layers of contaminants in between, the atoms “know” when they are not on the same part."

7. Oct 14, 2014 #6

DrDu

Science Advisor

The merging of solids is a problem in outer space as metals tend to merge which may destroy joints and the like. The point is that here on earth there are oxide layers which inhibit the fusing of metal surfaces.
    In soldering you typically apply some acids to remove these oxide layers.
    Similar changes occur on other surfaces like that of glass. But there are some surfaces which merge easily, like organic materials (wax),

8. Oct 14, 2014 #7

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We usually know what we are referring to as long as we don't push the definition too far.
    If you use the naive definition of a solid then there are very few materials that are true solids. The classification of materials into the 'three' states, as taught in elementary Science doesn't take you very far. Most materials will exhibit 'liquid properties' - take the rocks of the Earth's Mantel, for instance, which behave like a viscous liquid under the great pressures exerted on them.
    Classification can lead you up the garden path, if you are not careful.

9. Oct 14, 2014 #8

the intermolecular force of attraction is the cause for a solid to retain its rigidity... the intermolecular force acts mostly between same material... when you keep two different or same objects they do not merge because to create any bond you need to do some external work...this is the basic reason when you pile up solid they do not merge... and the little work done by you while piling is not enough for them to have the bonds and the forces of attractions...and so retains individual property.

10. Oct 14, 2014 #9

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

The fact that each has its own chemical bonds holding itself together but they don't share chemical bonds.

11. Oct 14, 2014 #10

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Two clean surfaces of the same metal could stick together very easily. Metallic bonding is due to the dissociated outer electrons that are attracted to all the positive ion cores in their vicinity. If you start with clean surfaces in a vacuum and can be sure that they are flat enough and under enough pressure to bring a majority of the areas into contact then there is no reason why bonds couldn't exist between both sides. Wrought Iron is made without actually melting the iron; it is just folded and folded and hammered together so that adjacent surfaces actually stick together. That process even works in the presence of a fair amount of Carbon, too.
    It would be a different matter to try to get two crystals of a non metal to stick together unless they were brought very near to melting (or by using a solvent).

12. Oct 14, 2014 #11
    sophiecentaur, elementary science is about as far as my education went... :)

Your comment about pressures in the earth's mantle is interesting and one I was thinking about after reading the earlier comments. If an object is 'solid' it is because the bonds constrain the atoms from being free to move? So with temperature/pressure, as an object heats (forgive my words here, I don't know the right language) those bonds weaken somehow permitting some range of movement and a solid can change to a liquid? So your viscous rocks are in a liquid state, aren't they? I read somewhere that atoms can vibrate, though I don't know what that means. So with increasing heat/pressure increasing the energy potential, does that make the vibrational intensity increase nand overcome the bond in some way?

13. Oct 14, 2014 #12

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Reading around can take you way beyond that. Good news - you found PF:). My point is that crude classification can let you down terribly. There's no such thing as an irresistible force or an immovable object but elementary Science often uses such concepts.

14. Oct 15, 2014 #13
    Talking of rocks becoming viscous under great pressure... That pressure is the weight of the crust above. Given that a solid, say my lump of lead, is composed of tightly bound atoms, how does gravitational force get expressed through that medium? The top layer of atoms/molecules will have weight which bears on the next layer and so on cumulatively, but what is it that bears and transmits the weight? Wikipedia says "Metallic solids are held together by a high density of shared, delocalized electrons, known as "metallic bonding". In a metal, atoms readily lose their outermost ("valence") electrons, forming positive ions. The free electrons are spread over the entire solid, which is held together firmly by electrostatic interactions between the ions and the electron cloud."

So if at the submicroscopic level we have atoms bound together by electrostatic interactions, what transmits the gravitational force? Or is the effects of this force a macro level effect for large objects?

In this case I don't mind how detailed you get, I can chase down the meaning of that by doing some searching and reading if I have the right pointers.

15. Oct 15, 2014 #14
    It might be worthwhile to note that "solid, liquid, gas" are legacy terms coined before suspensions, colloids, amorphous solids, etc. were understood. Additionally the concept of solid originally assumed physical contact of solid components rather than electrical field repulsion. Dragging legacy into the present is a large, annoying problem of "inertia".

16. Oct 15, 2014 #15
    enorbet, can you expand on what you mean by "Additionally the concept of solid originally assumed physical contact of solid components rather than electrical field repulsion"?

17. Oct 15, 2014 #16

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Chemistry and the properties of material is all to do with electric Forces. This is because the Electric force is far stronger than the gravitational force. Electric forces are always fairly localised because there are always equal numbers of positive and negative charges around and the forces 'cancel out' once you are a short way from each electron or proton in a material. But there are no 'negative' gravitational forces so they just add up and add up, all over an object, pulling the whole thing downwards,. When the Electric forces on a molecule in a substance can manage to withstand the gravitational forces, it will stay solid. If they are too weak, it will break or 'flow (liquid or plastic behaviour).

Electric forces connect all the particles together and 'transmit a force on one part to another (if the object is rigid.)

18. Oct 15, 2014 #17
    Sure. My apologies if I was vague but trying to generalize about many cultures over many centuries of time tends to get that way. Without going into what each and every culture thought things were made of, before humans understood anything about the real nature of matter and even well after the concept of atoms was conceived by some and well up into the Middle Ages, people assumed, because of intuition, that whatever elements they believed in (such as Earth, Air, Fire, Water and Aether) could actually come into physical contact with each other. They didn't realize that all matter is well over 99% empty space.

In actuality what we feel is the repulsive field of electrons. This is one way that we can "see" how gravity is so weak by comparison. As is often joked, "it isn't the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop" :D

19. Oct 16, 2014 #18
    OK, I can see that some kind of electrostatic bonding (again sorry if my terminology is incorrect) binds the atoms and molecules together. But this is an attractive force, and a force is not a thing. If gravity is acting upon, presumably, the atoms, and they are bonded by an attractive force, what actually propagates the gravitational force on each atom such that the object weighs cumulatively more as we progress from 'top' to 'bottom' of the object? And how does that work for gasses which presumably do not enjoy the same attractive qualities (or at least, their repulsive qualities overcome what attractive qualities they have).

20. Oct 17, 2014 #19
    Anyone? or even a pointer where I'd go or what to search on. How does the weight of an object accumulate through the object? Take my lump of lead resting on a table. Presumably the first layer of atoms bears on the next layer and so on, until the force is expressed on the table's surface. But how exactly does the 'weight' propagate through the molecular structure? Given that the lump of lead is largely space, and that the atoms are joined together by electrostatic bonds, what is the conduit for the expression of weight cumulatively? Or is that effect only a macroscale effect? Or am I just completely failing to understand how mass and gravity interact?

21. Oct 17, 2014 #20

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's your problem. The electric forces will both attract and repel, depending on how you stress the object. Remember, the electrons are attracted to the positive nuclei but they will repel each other and the nuclei will also mutually repel, if you try to push them together. The equilibrium shape of the object is it shape when the internal forces, alone. are at work. At the bottom of your object on a table, the gravitational forces all add up to the total weight and the object will have distorted a finite amount, as a result.
    Imagine, as a model for this idea, a heavy and weak coil spring, which can only just support its own weight on a table. The coils at the top will only have a small weight acting on them from above, so they will be widely spaced. The ones at the bottom will have more weight on them so they will be close together. The spring will not actually be uniform.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook