1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is an isometry bijective?

1. Oct 31, 2009 #1
    A function from the plane to itself which preserves the distance between any two points is called an isometry. Prove that an isometry must be a bijection.

To prove that an isometry is injective is easy:
    For an isometry: [tex]||f(x)-f(y)||=||x-y||[/tex]
    If [tex]x\neq y[/tex] then [tex]||x-y||>0[/tex] and therefore [tex]||f(x)-f(y)||>0[/tex] and [tex]f(x)\neq f(y)[/tex].
    But to prove that an isometry is surjective... how should I do that?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2009 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you thought about what all this means in terms of high-school Euclidean geometry?

4. Oct 31, 2009 #3
    Well, I tried to make some drawings in the plane, but they do not seem to lead to a solution...

5. Oct 31, 2009 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, at least have you found other things that must be preserved by an isometry?

6. Oct 31, 2009 #5
    Well, if you have three points with [tex]||f(x)-f(y)||=||f(y)-f(z)||=||f(z)-f(x)||[/tex] this is also true for [tex]||x-y||=||y-z||=||z-x||[/tex]. This means that a triangle remains a triangle. But I do not know what first step I have to see to do the proof...

7. Nov 1, 2009 #6
    Is there anyone who can help me on this?

8. Nov 1, 2009 #7
    Consider the tiling of the plane by regular triangles with all edges 1. What does your isometry do to its vertices? Once you know that, consider a general point (it is in one of those triangles) and see what you can say about what the isometry does to it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook