Why is current constant in a series connection? AND fluid flow in pipe

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of conservation of charge and how it relates to the accumulation of charge at a certain point. The concept is compared to the conservation of mass in fluid dynamics, and it is mentioned that this concept is only applicable in steady state flow. There is also a discussion on the experimental verification of Pauli's exclusion principle and how it relates to the concept of charge accumulation. The conversation also touches on the role of capacitors in storing charge and how they do not actually store charge, but rather allow for the flow of current in a circuit.
iampaul
My physics book explains that this is because of the conservation of charge and the fact that charge doesn't accumulate at a certain point.

Can someone please explain this in detail, especially the part where it says that charge can't accumulate.

Another question which i think is similar is the amount of mass flowing into and out of a pipe. My professor used the conservation of mass to show that the mass of fluid flowing into the pipe is equal to the mass flowing out. Isn't it possible that the fluid accumulates inside the pipe and gets compressed, so that the mass flowing out will be less than the mass flowing in?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It is possible for material flowing into a pipe to compress so you, for a while, get less out than you put in. For a while. However, after a while the pressure of the trapped fluid gets high enough that the outflow = inflow once again. (An electrical component which acts like that would be considered "reactive" rather than ohmic - like a capacitor. I take it you are still just looking at DC loads?)

Now go look up compressability of water - it's so small that we usually treat water as uncompressable.

As far as the fluid-flow model for electric circuits is concerned, the "fluid" is always considered to be uncompressable. It's only a model ... a kind of metaphor to help you think about electric circuits. You will always be able to find some places where it doesn't work.

Isn't it possible that the fluid accumulates inside the pipe and gets compressed

You are perfectly right.
Conservation of mass in fluid dynamics usually includes a term that describes the mass stored inside of the system due to compressability or other effects. If this stored mass does not change with the time, then this is a special case called a steady state flow. And only in steady state flow the same amount of fluid is coming out of the pipe as the pipe is fed at the other end. You usually encounter unsteady flow effects on startup / shutdown of gas pipelines or when the flow is decreased / increased which usually needs a modification in the operating pressure.

In electricity startup and shutdown are so very fast, that you would not notice such effects unless you une scope and visualise the first milliseconds after you turned on he light or such. So we usually have a steady state flow here with the same flow (=current) throughout the series connection.

I may be wrong but I also understand this phenomena as being an experimental verifcation of pauli's exclusion principle that no two electrons can be in the same state at the same time and so if electrons leave a wire, there are only positions left to fill those spaces and no more. What goes in must come out, no more no less.

Veni2K said:
I may be wrong but I also understand this phenomena as being an experimental verifcation of pauli's exclusion principle that no two electrons can be in the same state at the same time and so if electrons leave a wire, there are only positions left to fill those spaces and no more. What goes in must come out, no more no less.

This is not true, at least for conduction in metals. There's no limit to the number of electrons in the conduction band. This is only kept very close to the number of metal ions, because a slight imbalance would produce a large electric field.

A small piece of wire would have a self-capacitance of about 1 pF.
This means that a piece of wire at 1V would have a charge of only 10^-12 Coulomb.
It would have only 6.2 million electrons less than a piece of wire at 0V.

1g = 1/63.5 mole of copper would have 6*10^23 /63.5 = about 10^22 copper atoms, and also about 10^22 electrons in the conducion band, so you only need to remove one electron in 1.6 * 10^15 to raise the potential with 1 volt. To remove in electron in 10^10 you'd need to put 160 kV on it.
This explains why the electron fluid appears nearly incompressible.

Wow nice replies
Thanks a lot!

So charge builds up on a capacitor... But if too much does, breakdown can allow that plugged up charge to continue.

Hi Jakeus314, welcome to Physics Forums!
Jakeus314 said:
So charge builds up on a capacitor... But if too much does, breakdown can allow that plugged up charge to continue.
While it often serves the purpose to speak of a capacitor as "storing charge", it is important to realize that it really does not. And in the context of the topic of this thread, it is doubly important to understand that a capacitor does not store up charge: as many electrons flow into the wire going to one side of the capacitor as simultaneously flow out from the other side into the rest of the series circuit. (*)

No charge gets delayed, waylaid, or squirrelled away and cannot be accounted for; there definitely is no "plugged up" charge anywhere in a series circuit (nor in any circuit, for that matter).

So why do we even say that capacitors store charge? That's a topic for another day... :wink:

(*) for this reason, we can speak of current flowing through a capacitor despite knowing there is an insulating layer at the centre of every capacitor

To speak of a current flowing, even in a wire, is to speak of a flow of charge flowing. It's more logical to say simply that there is a current. [Please forgive this short side-track.]

To say storing a net charge would be wrong, but I'm sure they store charge... I'm not sure how picky I'm supposed to be when I respond to things here at PF.

1. Why is current constant in a series connection?

Current is constant in a series connection because the same current flows through each component in the circuit. This is due to the fact that in a series connection, the components are connected one after the other, creating one continuous path for the current to flow through. Therefore, the current remains constant throughout the entire circuit.

2. How does the resistance of each component affect the current in a series connection?

The resistance of each component affects the current in a series connection by causing a voltage drop. The higher the resistance of a component, the larger the voltage drop across it. This results in a decrease in the current flowing through the circuit, as stated by Ohm's Law (V=IR).

3. Can the current be different in a series connection?

No, the current cannot be different in a series connection. As mentioned earlier, the current remains constant throughout the entire circuit. This means that the current will have the same value at any point in the circuit, regardless of the number or type of components in the series connection.

4. How does the total resistance in a series connection compare to the individual resistances of the components?

The total resistance in a series connection is equal to the sum of the individual resistances of the components. This is because in a series connection, the resistances add up as the current flows through each component. This is also known as the "summing rule" of resistances in a series circuit.

5. How does changing the position of components in a series connection affect the current?

Changing the position of components in a series connection does not affect the current. As long as the components remain connected in a series, the current will remain constant. However, the voltage drop across each component may change depending on its position in the circuit, which can affect the overall resistance and current flow.