Why is Derivative of 2pie=0 and not 2

• Thread starter albert2008
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the derivative of 2x is 2, the derivative of \sqrt{2}x is \sqrt{2}, the derivative of 12357832.58312 x is 12357832.58312, and the derivative of \pi x is \pi.
albert2008
Dear People,

This might be a really dumb question. Please don't kill me for asking

The derivative of f(x)=2x
F'(x)=2

Can someone elaborate why derivative of 2pie=0
I'm thinking that 2pie is the same as 2x(x replaces pie) and thus the derivative would be 2 but the answer is zero.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
First let me correct a small typo: you meant f'(x) instead of F'(x)... usually, variables and functions in mathematics are case-sensitive, and it is more or less standard notation to use F(x) for a primitive of f(x) (i.e. a function whose derivative F'(x) is f(x)).

To answer your actual question, you should keep in mind that pi is just a number, whose decimal expansion starts with 3.1415..., it is not a variable.
So the derivative of 2x is 2, the derivative of [itex]\sqrt{2}x[/itex] is [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex], the derivative of 12357832.58312 x is 12357832.58312, and the derivative of [itex]\pi x[/itex] is [itex]\pi[/itex].

In the same way, the derivative of any number is zero, whether that number is 2, 2 pi, square root of (21300 pi^3), or whatever you want.

If you have learned about the geometric meaning of derivative, as slope of a function, this is easy to see. The function f(x) = 2x is a straight line going through the origin and, for example (1, 2). The slope at any point is 2 (just pick an arbitrary point on the line, go one unit to the right, you will have to go two units to the top to get on the line again). If you plot f(x) = 2 pi, that will just be a horizontal line at y = 2 pi for all x. The slope of this line is clearly zero: going one unit to the right you end up at the same height.

[tex]\pi[/tex] is a constant, i.e. a number, so d([tex]\pi[/tex])/dx is equal 0.

The difference between [tex]\pi[/tex] and x in this context is that x is a variable, so when we differentiate anthing with regard to x we are trying to find the gradient function that will work for any value of x, but because [tex]\pi[/tex] is a number (a constant [tex]\approx[/tex] 3.14) it has a fixed value and so is not a variable but a constant, like any other number.

Hope this helps to clarify things :)
Oscar

Thank you so much for taking time to answer my question. May you always have good health and spirits.

Albert2008 said:
Thank you so much for taking time to answer my question. May you always have good health and spirits.

No problem. Thank you for your wishes and may you always have more questions to ask :)

Why is Derivative of 2pie=0 and not 2?

The derivative of 2pie is not equal to 2 because the derivative is a measure of the rate of change of a function. The derivative of a constant value is always 0, meaning that there is no change in the function at that point.

How is the derivative of 2pie calculated?

The derivative of 2pie is calculated using the power rule of differentiation, which states that the derivative of a constant multiplied by a variable raised to a power is equal to the constant multiplied by the power of the variable decreased by 1.

What is the significance of the derivative of 2pie?

The derivative of 2pie is significant because it represents the slope of the function at a given point. In other words, it tells us how fast the function is changing at that particular point.

Can the derivative of 2pie ever be equal to 2?

No, the derivative of 2pie can never be equal to 2 because 2pie is a constant value and the derivative of a constant is always 0. The derivative can only be equal to 2 if there is a variable involved in the function.

What is the difference between the derivative of 2pie and the derivative of 2?

The derivative of 2pie is always 0, while the derivative of 2 is always 2. This is because 2 is a variable and can change, while 2pie is a constant value and does not change. Therefore, the rate of change for 2pie is always 0, while the rate of change for 2 can vary depending on the function it is a part of.