Why is E not equal to p^2/2m for a particle in a box?

In summary, the particle in a box problem has a ground state energy that is entirely kinetic, but the momentum of the particle can only take on two values due to the wave function peaking at those two values in momentum space. However, the energy of the particle is not entirely kinetic, leading to the conclusion that the momentum operator is not self-adjoint in this case. This is treated in most texts on functional analysis and can be better understood by considering a modification of the problem with delta functions at the boundaries.
dextercioby said:
No, the Hilbert space is L^2 ([0,a], dx), that is the set of all (equivalence classes of) functions with finite norm, that is the Hilbert space is:

## H = \{\psi (x) | \int_{0}^{a} |\psi^2 (x)| dx <\infty \} ##

The necessity of boundary conditions on the wavefunction stems from the fact that the Hamiltonian and the momentum are (in coordinates representation) derivative operators, hence their spectral equations are (Sturm-Liouville) differential equations whose unique solutions need boundary conditions (Dirichlet or Neumann).

But what in the definition of a "Hilbert space" prevents you from making a Hilbert space that consists of only the functions satisfying the boundary conditions?

Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, but on your space, i.e., simply ##\mathrm{L}^2([0,a])## without any boundary conditions, ##-\mathrm{i} \mathrm{d}_x## is not even Hermitean, because
$$\int_0^a \mathrm{d} x \psi_1^*(x) (-\mathrm{i}) \psi_2'(x)=\psi_1^*(a) \psi_2(a)-\psi_1^*(0) \psi_2(0) +\int_0^a \mathrm{d} x [(-\mathrm{i}) \psi_1'(x)]^* \psi_2(x).$$
So even for getting the operator Hermitean you need boundary conditions to ensure that the integral-free part vanishes.

dextercioby said:
Completion.

Completion in this sense is something like:

If [itex]\psi_1, \psi_2, ...[/itex] is a converging infinite sequence of elements, then the limit is also an element?

So a counterexample might be if [itex]\psi_n(x)[/itex] is the function that is equal to 1 in the interval [itex]1/n < x < 1 - 1/n[/itex], but is equal to 0 outside that interval. Each [itex]\psi_n[/itex] is in the space (of functions that are 0 on x=0 and x=1) but the limit is the constant function 1, which is not in that space.

Okay. Everything is illuminated now.

Likes dextercioby