1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is enthalpy a function of Temperature and Pressure?

1. Apr 28, 2012 #1
    right now, I'm following the MIT thermodynamics video lecture.

I've gone thru

dU = [STRIKE]d[/STRIKE]w + [STRIKE]d[/STRIKE]q
    ([STRIKE]d[/STRIKE] for "is path dependent")

and

H = U + pV

But why is enthalpy a function of temperature and pressure?
    is it because pV = nRT and thus, V = nRT/p, so we only need p and T to get V?

dH = ( [itex]\delta[/itex] H/ [itex]\delta[/itex] )TdT + ( [itex]\delta[/itex] H/ [itex]\delta[/itex] p)dp

but why not:
    dH = ([itex]\delta[/itex]H/[itex]\delta[/itex] T)dT + ([itex]\delta[/itex]H/[itex]\delta[/itex]V)dV ???

Thanks! : D

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2012 #2
    You have (I won't write the path-dependent parts explicitly; just assume they are there :D ):
    [tex]
    \mathrm{d}E = T\mathrm{d}S - P\mathrm{d}V
    [/tex]

We know that [itex]\mathrm{d}Q = T\mathrm{d}T[/itex], so that for a process at constant pressure we can rewrite the quantity of heat as the differential:
    [tex]
    \mathrm{d}Q = \mathrm{d}E + P\mathrm{d}V = \mathrm{d}(E + PV) = \mathrm{d}W
    [/tex]

of some quantity
    [tex]W = E+PV[/tex]

If you now want to find the total differential of the heat function itself (now no longer assuming constant pressure), you can easily get:
    [tex]
    \mathrm{d}W = T\mathrm{d}S + V\mathrm{d}P
    [/tex]

For your notation: look at the definition of your [itex]U[/itex]. When you make the total differential of the heat function, you have to write explicitly the terms for the energy, where [itex]-P\mathrm{d}V[/itex] cancels with one of the differential you get from [itex]\mathrm{d}(PV)[/itex] in the heat function.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook