Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is it cool to hold your crotch?

1. Aug 18, 2005 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I keep seeing this commercial from Best Buys with The Black Eyed Peas. The lead singer looks like he has to go to the bathroom. :rofl:

Sorry, my software for work was delayed and my finger hurts too much to work on the bathroom, so I notice these things. :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2005 #2
    Hmmmm... I don't really see many people grabbing their crotch though occasional I see people grabbing other people's crotches.

4. Aug 18, 2005 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is this some kind of chakra-music thing?

late post:
    M. Jackson?

Madonna?

Pee Wee Herman?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2005
  5. Aug 18, 2005 #4
    Not a fan. Maybe I don't see it because I don't listen to these musicians.

Come to think of it most of what I hear about Micheal Jackson is him grabbing other people's crotches too.

6. Aug 18, 2005 #5
    Ok you go tme on that one. The last I heard about him was him grabbing his crotch.

7. Aug 18, 2005 #6

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Hm, were they grabbing the crotch of their pants, because that's nowhere near their crotch. :rolleyes:

8. Aug 18, 2005 #7

wolram

Gold Member

Could be suggestive, pain, embarrassment or over active glands they can drive
    you nuts

9. Aug 18, 2005 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have seen that voice teachers tell their students to produce the sound deep in their gut; down in the diaphram. Has this guy just taken things too far? :biggrin:

I'm serious though. I don't see how this could be considered cool. He looks to be in great distress and needing to pee.

10. Aug 18, 2005 #9
    I haven't seen the commercial since I don't watch TV these days but there is this picture floating around of Fergie of the BEP with a wet spot in her crotch, as if she had wet herself. But you did say it was a guy (will.i.am?).

11. Aug 18, 2005 #10

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Perhaps he tries to convey the image that he has a raging, barely controllable hard-on??

12. Aug 18, 2005 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ivan, I know what you're talking about. I see it a lot among the teens in that same segment of the population that wears over-sized pants (when are those going to go out of style?). I figure they're doing that to keep their pants from falling off. :biggrin: A belt really would be a better way to go, especially since my first thought when I see a teen or young adult male walking around holding his crotch in public is that he really ought to see a doctor to get that rash checked out.

13. Aug 18, 2005 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When I was in my high school chorus, every once in a while, the tenors had to reach some note that was clearly above their voice range, and they'd grab their crotch as a joke that it might help them hit those higher notes. The only effect is had was to get the girls to roll their eyes (or we'd volunteer to kick them if they thought it would help) and the boys to erupt with laughter. The director just ignored them, apparently she'd seen that joke many, many, many times before.

14. Aug 18, 2005 #13
    As an experiment, I am grabbing mine right now.

hmmm...

Nope. Doesn't feel cool...

hmmm...

Feels a little warm though...

hmmm...

I'll get back to you later with the results. :tongue:

15. Aug 18, 2005 #14
    Hey, don't you need a control for that experiment?

Quick! Someone grab my crotch!

We'll compare results afterwards.

16. Aug 18, 2005 #15
    True, and it is much more fun to have someone else do the grabbing.

17. Aug 18, 2005 #16

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

It's not like I dislike getting grabbed, but what's wrong with grabbing? :confused:

18. Aug 18, 2005 #17
    Shut up ardy and just grab my crotch.

19. Aug 18, 2005 #18

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Sorry, I don't like lamb chop suey.

20. Aug 18, 2005 #19
    Damnit! WILL NO ONE GRAB MY CROTCH!!???!!!???!!!???!!!??11/1//

It's like highschool all over again :cry:

21. Aug 18, 2005 #20

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Looks like I'll get my erotic childhood stories after all. Let the healing begin! Go on, Smurf, when did this problem first arise? How did you handle it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?