Why Does Covariant Index Represent Partial Derivative in Special Relativity?

• I
  • Thread starter GR191511
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Indices
In summary: I think. I'm always annoyed by one of my favorite old references - Synge's GR book - he (with warning early in the book) routinely just uses lower indexes for either partials or covariant derivatives wherever he thinks "context" should make it clear; even in cases where context might be 5 pages earlier! (I've have never seen any other author follow this 'convention').I've never really understood why: it's not as though partials and nablas are scarce resources. :wink:The notation is introduced in the book (2nd edition) in equation (3.19)I don't know if this has been asked before, but is there a reason why the partial derivative
GR191511
I‘m reading the chapter 4 《Perfect fluids in special relativity》of《A First Course in General Relativity》.In the process of deriving conservation of energy-momentum,it said:##\frac {\partial T^0{^0}} {\partial t}=-\frac {\partial T^0{^x}}{\partial x}-\frac {\partial T^0{^y}}{\partial y}-\frac {\partial T^0{^z}}{\partial z}####\;##then it writes:##T^0{^0}{_0}+T^0{^x}{_x}+T^0{^y}{_y}+T^0{^z}{_z}=0##...I wonder why the partial derivative is represented by covariant index?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure it doesn't have a comma before each lower index? That comma indicates partial derivative, making it different than a tensor index. In this older notation, a semicolon would indicate a covariant derivative.

Likes dextercioby, GR191511 and malawi_glenn
There is a comma indeed.

1658289810079.png

This notation is introduced in the book (2nd edition) in equation (3.19)

Likes PeroK and GR191511
GR191511 said:
I‘m reading the chapter 4 《Perfect fluids in special relativity》of《A First Course in General Relativity》.In the process of deriving conservation of energy-momentum,it said:##\frac {\partial T^0{^0}} {\partial t}=-\frac {\partial T^0{^x}}{\partial x}-\frac {\partial T^0{^y}}{\partial y}-\frac {\partial T^0{^z}}{\partial z}####\;##then it writes:##T^0{^0}{_0}+T^0{^x}{_x}+T^0{^y}{_y}+T^0{^z}{_z}=0##...I wonder why the partial derivative is represented by covariant index?
Because the derivative operator acts like a covector, i.e., a thingie with a lower index. For example, you can contract the derivative operator with a vector to get a number (this number is usually called the "divergence" of the vector).

Likes vanhees71, GR191511 and malawi_glenn
Incidentally, Carroll's lecture notes state this notation and then go on to say how easy it is to make exactly the mistake OP did, especially in handwriting. That's why he largely uses ##\partial_0T^{00}## in preference to ##T^{00}{}_{,0}##.

Likes vanhees71, Dale, GR191511 and 1 other person
Ibix said:
Incidentally, Carroll's lecture notes state this notation and then go on to say how easy it is to make exactly the mistake OP did, especially in handwriting. That's why he largely uses ##\partial_0T^{00}## in preference to ##T^{00}{}_{,0}##.
Yes, I've always preferred that as well, even though my favorite GR textbook, MTW, insists on using commas and semicolons instead of partials and nablas. I've never really understood why: it's not as though partials and nablas are scarce resources. :wink:

Likes vanhees71, Dale, GR191511 and 1 other person
PeterDonis said:
I've never really understood why
I never understood the need of the ## \dot y## notation for ## \dfrac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}t} ## :oldbiggrin::headbang:

• Haha
Likes vanhees71
drmalawi said:
I never understood the need of the ## \dot y## notation for ## \dfrac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}t} ## :oldbiggrin::headbang:
Perhaps it's meant to induce eyestrain. It certainly does a good job of that for me. :wink:

Likes vanhees71 and malawi_glenn
Talk about extreme concern about ink, I'm am always annoyed by one of my favorite old references - Synge's GR book - he (with warning early in the book) routinely just uses lower indexes for either partials or covariant derivatives wherever he thinks "context" should make it clear; even in cases where context might be 5 pages earlier! (I've have never seen any other author follow this 'convention').

• Haha
  • Love
Ibix said:
I’ll usually mention that the comma/semicolon notation exists and then happily go on using partials and nablas. It is just clearer to me.

drmalawi said:
This, on the other hand, I have no particular issue with for some reason.

Likes Dale and malawi_glenn
PeterDonis said:
I've never really understood why
Compactness. Also, I think there's a degree of sense to it because "the partial derivative of ##T##" is one "thing", so I understand the desire to notate it as one "thing" without having to introduce some arbitrary new letter for it. It's kind of analogous to the ##\dot x## notation, in fact, which I do use.

But I personally find the commas too easy to lose among the other indices. I wonder if this particular notational preference is well correlated with the strength of the physicist's astigmatism.

Edit: cross-posted with several others, I see.

Orodruin said:
This, on the other hand, I have no particular issue with for some reason.
Because there's nothing else above the letter for the dot to become visually lost in, I suspect. I'd avoid ##\dot i## and ##\dot j##, though. 😁

• Haha
Likes malawi_glenn and PAllen
Ibix said:
Because there's nothing else above the letter for the dot to become visually lost in, I suspect. I'd avoid ##\dot i## and ##\dot j##, though. 😁
But second derivatives might be fine ... but maybe not in German (?)

• Haha
Likes malawi_glenn and Ibix
PAllen said:
But second derivatives might be fine ... but maybe not in German (?)
##\ddot{\ddot{e}}## 😁

I’ll say this though. In PDE literature it is quite common to use subscripts to denote partial derivatives (I also do it). For example, the wave equation for ##u(x,t)## would be
$$
u_{tt} -c^2 u_{xx}=0.
$$
It is quite convenient and fine as long as you only ever deal with scalars. The problems start to arise when you want to combine that with tensors in index notation …

Context is important.

drmalawi said:
That's the old quarrel between Newton and Leibniz. The intoduction of Leibniz's notation in England by Maxwell was anrevolution ;-).

Likes dextercioby
vanhees71 said:
That's the old quarrel between Newton and Leibniz. The intoduction of Leibniz's notation in England by Maxwell was anrevolution ;-).
It is said that they both worked independently, but I find both their works a bit … derivative …

• Wow
  • Haha
Likes vanhees71 and PeterDonis
Orodruin said:
It is said that they both worked independently, but I find both their works a bit … derivative …
And now it has been integrated into our standard math curriculum. If only the people responsible would know their limits...

• Haha
Likes vanhees71 and Orodruin
drmalawi said:
And now it has been integrated into our standard math curriculum. If only the people responsible would know their limits...
I don’t know … I may be partial …

• Haha
Likes vanhees71
Orodruin said:
I don’t know … I may be partial …
maybe, but I need to get to the kernel with this

(that was lame, even for my standards)​

• Haha
Likes vanhees71 and Orodruin
drmalawi said:
maybe, but I need to get to the kernel with this

(that was lame, even for my standards)​
It seems we reach these types of conversations at discrete intervals. I guess that makes a difference.

• Haha
Likes vanhees71
On a more serious note, I looked through a French calculus textbook from circa 1725 once - I read no French. I could follow it easily, the notation and even order of presentation of topics was already similar to texts of my era. I wonder whether this is a good thing.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
Where's the :groan: emoji?

• Love

1. What is a covariant index in special relativity?

A covariant index in special relativity is a subscript or superscript that indicates the direction of a vector in four-dimensional spacetime. In other words, it represents the components of a vector in a specific coordinate system.

2. How does a covariant index relate to partial derivatives in special relativity?

In special relativity, the covariant index represents the direction of differentiation in a four-dimensional spacetime. This is similar to how a partial derivative represents the direction of differentiation in a multi-dimensional space.

3. Why is it important to use covariant indices in special relativity?

Covariant indices are important in special relativity because they allow us to express physical quantities, such as velocity and momentum, in a way that is consistent with the principles of relativity. By using covariant indices, we can transform these quantities between different reference frames without violating the laws of physics.

4. Can covariant indices be used in other branches of physics?

Yes, covariant indices can be used in other branches of physics, such as general relativity and quantum field theory. They are a fundamental concept in tensor calculus, which is a mathematical framework used to describe the behavior of physical systems in different reference frames.

5. Is there a difference between covariant and contravariant indices in special relativity?

Yes, there is a difference between covariant and contravariant indices in special relativity. Covariant indices represent the components of a vector in a specific coordinate system, while contravariant indices represent the components of a dual vector, which is a mathematical object that describes the gradient of a scalar field in a specific coordinate system.