Mass on Right: Why Not p*[(b/2)-x]?

• Thread starter Shackleford
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the distribution of mass on the left and right sides of a hanging chain. It is explained that when the chain falls a distance of x, half of it goes to each side, resulting in a mass of (b-x)/2 on the right side. The concept of using CM and total mass for these types of problems is also mentioned.
Shackleford
Why is the mass on the right not p*[(b/2)-x]? I understand initially on the left and right side the distance is b/2. When it changes, it changes by x, not x/2.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/IMG_20101122_203625.jpg?t=1290480153

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
So we start off with each side hanging a distance b/2. When the chain falls a distance of x, half of it goes to the left side, and half to the right side. So at a time t, the amount of chain on the right side is

b-(b/2+x/2)=(b-x)/2

since mass is just p*(length of chain) that gives p*(b-x)/2 for the mass of the right chain. I don't know about you right now, but I remember that I used to get seriously confused about when to use CM and when I needed total mass for these types of problems.

1. What is the significance of the "Mass on Right" in the equation?

The "Mass on Right" refers to the position of the mass in relation to the center of rotation in the equation. It is used to calculate the torque exerted by the mass on a lever arm.

2. Why is the variable p used in the equation?

The variable p represents the magnitude of the force exerted by the mass on the lever arm. It is multiplied by the distance (b/2)-x to calculate the torque.

3. What does the expression (b/2)-x represent in the equation?

This expression represents the distance between the center of rotation and the point where the force is applied. It is used to calculate the lever arm, which is a crucial factor in determining the torque.

4. How does the equation account for the angle of the lever arm?

The equation assumes that the lever arm is perpendicular to the direction of the applied force. This means that the angle between the force and the lever arm is 90 degrees, which simplifies the calculation of torque.

5. Can this equation be applied to any system?

While this equation is commonly used in physics and mechanics, it is specifically designed for a system with a single, point-like mass. It may not be applicable to more complex systems with multiple masses or distributed masses.