1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is it that lower frequency EM waves are aloud to pass through objects, but high

1. Nov 8, 2012 #1
    But high frequency are absorbed, like gamma rays. I would think it would be the opposite. So whats the physical reason?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Re: Why is it that lower frequency EM waves are aloud to pass through objects, but hi

I believe you'll find that gamma rays have higher penetration in, say, steel, than infra-red rays.
    I can stop a lot of visible light with a black sheet of paper - but this has almost no effect on high energy gammas.

Where did you get this idea from?

4. Nov 9, 2012 #3
    Re: Why is it that lower frequency EM waves are aloud to pass through objects, but hi

This does not seem right even if one invokes the concept of plasma frequency.Metals having plasma frequency higher than frequency of light will reflect it otherwise transmit.May be you can see feynman lectures vol. 2 ,last 1/4 part for it.

5. Nov 9, 2012 #4

Radio waves (low f) pass through walls that visible light doesn't. But x-rays (high f) also pass through things visible light doesn't. So frequency isn't the determining factor here perhaps?

6. Nov 9, 2012 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

But x-rays, which has a higher frequency than visible light, can penetrate through your skin/body, while visible light can't!

So now we have a contradiction to your assertion, which is something that you should have brought up (I'm assuming you are well-familiar with x-rays). So now how would you proceed in your thinking? Is this whole thing really an issue with EM wave, or is this really more of a function of the material that interacts with that EM wave? Remember, there are two parties involved here - the light and the material that it is impinging upon. You seem to have dismissed the latter.

Just because the bride wears all the fancy dress and gets all the attention doesn't mean that you can ignore the groom!

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook