1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is it zero ?

1. Apr 8, 2009 #1
    hi to all ...
    it is just an attempt to understand ....
    the problem was to prove that
    gamma ( z+ 1) = z * gamma(z) using the integral definition of gamma function ...
    when i used the integration by parts i get the following :

gamma ( z+ 1 ) = ( x^z) * e^(-x) (0 ,∞) + ⌠ z x^(z-1) e^(-x ) dx
    where the limits of integration ( 0 ,∞)

the integration already gives z * gamma (z) , then ( x^z) * e^(-x) │( 0 ,∞) = 0

i dont have the evidense that this term is zero ...

have u ?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2009 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

What does the " | " actually denote? What values do you get when you sub in 0 and take the limit as x goes to infinity ? It should be quite straight forward. Remember exponential terms dominate algebraic terms in limits.

4. Apr 8, 2009 #3
    thank u ... " | " denote nothing other than ( when or at ) , we can neglect it..
    when we sub in zero we get zero , since
    ( 0^z) * e^(-0) = 0 * 1 = 0

but the problem still hold when we try that limit as x goes to infinity , where it gives
    ( ∞ / ∞ ) or ( 0 / 0) if we try l'Hôpital's rule , in fact i want to understand or get the answer of the question :
    why do exponential terms dominate algebraic terms in limits ?
    i think that you put the exact description of what my question originally is , when you said : Remember exponential terms dominate algebraic terms in limits

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  5. Apr 8, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Take the log of L=x^z*e^(-x), log(L)=z*log(x)-x. x grows faster than z*log(x). Use l'Hopital to prove it. So the limit of the log(L) goes to negative infinity. That means L goes to zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook