Why is Jesus White? Exploring the History of Representation

• History
  • Thread starter Char. Limit
  • Start date
In summary: I won't. I don't want to offend anybody.In summary, the Jesus shown in western media is typically white with light brown hair. This is probably because it is easier to depict someone as a savior if they look similar to the person praying to him. However, there is a black Jesus who is closer to the real person.
GeorginaS said:
Ask any theological scholar, read some in-depth theology. No one who wrote The Bible met Jesus. It's nice to know that you wouldn't go that far, but some serious study by some seriously knowledgeable people do go that far. Start with Bart Ehrman's Misquoting Jesus, work your way over to Karen Armstrong's work in A History of God and then, if you ever get the opportunity, sit down with a serious theologian who has a PhD in the stuff, and they'll tell you.
I have talked to people who have studied theology maybe not so far as getting a PhD. but I wouldn't really want to talk with those people anyways. All the stories I've heard of people with PhD's in theology running their mouth about this and that kind of puts me off to them. (I guess that's why you included the modifier 'serious') I DO however know that scholars put the first writing of Marks Gospel at around 60A.D.. With Jesus dying in 30A.D. it is perfectly plausible that the writters of the bible lived while Jesus was alive they were possibly even old enough to remember these events. Even if they hadn't personally met Jesus they could have personally known one of the Twelve Apostles which is who in the bible it states said that Jesus was not considered beautiful...

It's nice how you can sit down and throw around 'seriously knowledgeable people know this and that' and portray it as FACT when there IS another side which IS also plausible.

Also notice NO BODY here has claimed that these people had personal relationships with Jesus, talked with Jesus or even 'followed' Jesus or anything of the sort... I said in the bible it says he was not beautiful you counter with they never 'personally met him'.
No one who wrote about Jesus had any first-hand knowledge of him. Heresay isn't regarded as reliable information. In your example all I'd take away from that was that you, personally you, did not think I was appealing. It would not directly speak to what other opinions may be held by other people or the symmetry of my facial features.

Nonetheless, define beauty and tell me, again, please, how that entered into people portraying Jesus in ways that are familiar to them?

Then nothing in the bible is reliable and everything the scholars you mentioned before conclude is faulty since it is based on heresay as well. So maybe the first gopsel was actually written in 100A.D. and they wrote it in such a way to attempt to deceive us! That's rediculous, if in the bible it was written to say that Jesus was not considered beautiful then you can pretty much accept that if the Jesus of the bible lived that it is very likely that he was not considered beautiful.

The reason this has to do with the OP is that I say that pictures of Jesus are shown to be MORE beautiful and APPEALING to other people. Not to make him more 'European'. This was a VERY popular way of doing art during those days. I could patronize you the way you have me with quite an attacking tone and references to knowledgeable people but I'm not bored enough for that yet.

Science news on Phys.org
zomgwtf, you seem to be someone, like myself, who finds argument fun, as long as it isn't circular.

I don't claim to be a theologian, even if I do claim to be Christian. Thus, I cannot skillfully argue Georgina's points here. I'm not sure if I agree with them or not.

It is possible what you are saying, however.

zomgwtf said:
The reason this has to do with the OP is that I say that pictures of Jesus are shown to be MORE beautiful and APPEALING to other people. Not to make him more 'European'. This was a VERY popular way of doing art during those days. I could patronize you the way you have me with quite an attacking tone and references to knowledgeable people but I'm not bored enough for that yet.

Well, hrm. It's interesting that you can hear "tone" in pixels. It's further interesting that you want to threaten me with being patronised by you.

Given that I've evidently upset you, I'll withdraw from this and leave you to your own conjecture. I've offered the names and authors of a couple of books that are very accessible, very well researched, and absolutely fascinating if you care to delve a bit further into what people who have dedicated years of their lives to research the stuff you're theorising about. They have evidence and everything.