Why is light not visible when it travels.

• Thread starter binbots
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, when light beams pass from one side of an object to the other, only a very small amount of energy passes from the beam into the eye. This is due to diffraction at the aperture. You will mainly see the stuff in front of you.
binbots
This is a very simple question, which is why I am probably having a hard time finding the answer. Why is light not visible when it travels. You see the light of the sun, but you don't see the light travel to your eye. Light does not appear unitil is hits something, right? So the sun gives off light, the light then vanishes, travels in darkness, then appears again when it hits something or it is observed. Why?

Science news on Phys.org

You can only see light if it enters your eye. If light is traveling far off, how could your eye detect it? It cant. The sun gives off light, you can't see it. The light travels across space, you can see it. The light hits your eye, then you can see it.

If a train doesn't hit you, why can't you still feel it?

I don't mean to thread hijack, but this is relevant. How does a photon "carry" an image per se?

I guess that question may be more relevant in the science and study of the brain rather than physics, huh?

Krb686 said:
I don't mean to thread hijack, but this is relevant. How does a photon "carry" an image per se?
An individual photon doesn't carry an image: an image is comprised of an enormous number of individual photons. When you look around you, ever part of every object you see is sending a photon toward your eye. Millions (billions, quadrillions?) of photons of different colors hit different parts of your retina, in very much the same way that the millions individual pixels on a digital camera chip each receive millions (quadrillions?) of photons from their part of the image.
I guess that question may be more relevant in the science and study of the brain rather than physics, huh?
Nope, still physics. Optically, the human eye is not that much different from a simple digital camera (you could mount a ccd chip on the back of your eye and it would work fine if we could interface it with our brains). It's just the way the light is sensed and processed that is different.

russ_watters said:
An individual photon doesn't carry an image: an image is comprised of an enormous number of individual photons. When you look around you, ever part of every object you see is sending a photon toward your eye. Millions (billions, quadrillions?) of photons of different colors hit different parts of your retina, in very much the same way that the millions individual pixels on a digital camera chip each receive millions (quadrillions?) of photons from their part of the image. Nope, still physics. Optically, the human eye is not that much different from a simple digital camera (you could mount a ccd chip on the back of your eye and it would work fine if we could interface it with our brains). It's just the way the light is sensed and processed that is different.

That makes perfect sense. I understand lcds, I don't know why I didn't make that connection!

Thanks. I guess it goes back to light is not light until it is observed. I was using the mental image of seeing the Earth and the sun from the moon. Light from the sun hits my eye, and the light reflecting on the Earth will hit my eye. But I will not be able to see the light between them. So I assume what I percieve as light is only that, a perception. Light is not the same as the way we percieve it to be.

just like a radio needs something that turns light into sound, we need to turn light into images...

prolly a bad analogy

EM waves do not affect each other as they go through / past each other in space. When a light beam passes from right to left, in front of you, no energy will pass from the beam into your eye EXCEPT for the small (really really small) amount of energy that will come your way from the original source, due to diffraction at the aperture.
If you see anything of the beam it will be because of scattering by molecules and dust in front of you. What you will mainly see is the stuff in front of you.

1. Why does light appear invisible when it travels?

Light does not appear visible when it travels because it travels in a straight line and does not interact with anything in its path. Therefore, there is no source of light for our eyes to detect and perceive.

2. Why does light travel so fast?

Light travels at a speed of approximately 299,792,458 meters per second because it has no mass and is made up of massless particles called photons. This allows light to move at the fastest possible speed in the universe.

3. Why can't we see light when it passes through objects?

When light passes through objects, it is either absorbed, reflected, or refracted. These processes alter the path of the light, making it invisible to our eyes. Additionally, our eyes are only able to detect a small portion of the electromagnetic spectrum, and some types of light, such as infrared and ultraviolet, are invisible to us.

4. How does light travel through a vacuum?

Light is able to travel through a vacuum because it does not require a medium, such as air or water, to propagate. This is because light is made up of electromagnetic waves, which can travel through empty space.

5. Why is light necessary for our vision if it is invisible when it travels?

Although light may not be visible when it travels, it is necessary for our vision because it is the source of all visible objects. When light reflects off of objects and enters our eyes, it is detected by our retinas, which then sends signals to our brain, allowing us to see the world around us.