Why is Mass Special? Understanding Force, Momentum, Energy, Work & Power

• Thread starter CaptainADHD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, the concepts of force, momentum, energy, work, and power are all directly proportional to mass, with the exception of the force of gravity which is proportional to weight. Mass is not a vector quantity and has no inherent direction. It is defined as the total quantity of matter in an object and remains constant even with the addition of anti-matter. Mass is also the measure of an object's inertia and a greater mass resists acceleration more. The second law of Newton states that net forces produce accelerations, and the mass of the object determines the magnitude of the acceleration. However, in some cases, equations may be presented backwards, implying that acceleration results in force.
CaptainADHD
I'm trying to better understand these concepts:

Force
Momentum
Energy
Work
Power

One major thing I noticed was that every single one of those quantities is directly proportional to mass. Length and time have various positive and negative exponents, but mass never, ever gets touched.

Why don't we play with the dimensions of mass the way we play with the dimensions of everything else?

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, it is a little misleading to say that force is proportional to mass. The force of gravity (weight) is proportional to mass, that is true, but that is due to the fact the acceleration due to gravity (in free fall) is the same for everything.

Other forces can be applied to a mass that can be of any quantity at all. Newton's 2nd law specifically says that the acceleration is directly proportional to net force and inversely proportional to mass.

Mass is not a vector quantity, so there is no inherent direction to a mass, and therefore no "opposite" direction. Furthermore, mass is defined as the total quantity of matter in an object. Once the amount of matter goes to zero, it doesn't get less. Even "anti-matter" has positive mass.

Chi Meson said:
First of all, it is a little misleading to say that force is proportional to mass. The force of gravity (weight) is proportional to mass, that is true, but that is due to the fact the acceleration due to gravity (in free fall) is the same for everything.

Before I go off the deep end here, let me say that I only have exposure to classical mechanics, so if I say something ridiculous, just respond that it gets explained at some higher level and I'll shut up:

...But force is proportional to mass and to the acceleration. 10 times larger mass with unchanged acceleration produces/yields/implies 10 times more force. Is mass not just some measure of the magnitude of inertia?

Or is this a better definition: force is the cause of acceleration, and what that acceleration is going to look like depends on the mass that force is acting upon... ? (chicken makes eggs, eggs don't make chickens)

Maybe I'm looking at this wrong...

CaptainADHD said:
Length and time have various positive and negative exponents, but mass never, ever gets touched.
There are many examples of physical quantities that are always non-negative, for example:
  1. Speed
  2. Kinetic Energy
  3. Frequency
  4. Wavelength
  5. Distance
  6. Absolute Temperature
  7. ...
mass isn't special in this respect. However, you are quite right that mass is an interesting concept. For example, we still have no explanation for why the inertial mass (the mass is Newton's second law) should be equal to the gravitational mass of an object.
CaptainADHD said:
Why don't we play with the dimensions of mass the way we play with the dimensions of everything else?
What do you mean, "play with the dimensions"?

CaptainADHD said:
Or is this a better definition: force is the cause of acceleration, and what that acceleration is going to look like depends on the mass that force is acting upon... ? (chicken makes eggs, eggs don't make chickens)
/QUOTE]

Exactly. This is the much better way of looking at it. In fact this is the only way to look at it. You have just paraphrased Newton's 2nd law. Net forces produce accelerations. The mass of the object is indeed also the amount of inertia in the object and therefore a greater mass resists acceleration more.

Chi Meson said:
CaptainADHD said:
/QUOTE]

Exactly. This is the much better way of looking at it. In fact this is the only way to look at it. You have just paraphrased Newton's 2nd law. Net forces produce accelerations. The mass of the object is indeed also the amount of inertia in the object and therefore a greater mass resists acceleration more.

I think this sometimes confuses new people like me, since a great deal of questions ask us to solve an equation backwards for force.

Thank you for the clarification ^^. This helps a great deal.

A 3.00-kg object undergoes an acceleration given by a = (2.00ˆi + 5.00ˆj)ms2. Find the
resultant force acting on it and the magnitude of the resultant force.

That's what I mean ><. The very first question given in a chapter introducing students to force implies that acceleration results in force. That's just disgusting. I won't name any names, but it rhymes with Bhomson Crookes/Bole. No wonder physics is so hard.

CaptainADHD said:
A 3.00-kg object undergoes an acceleration given by a = (2.00ˆi + 5.00ˆj)ms2. Find the
resultant force acting on it and the magnitude of the resultant force.

That's what I mean ><. The very first question given in a chapter introducing students to force implies that acceleration results in force. That's just disgusting. I won't name any names, but it rhymes with Bhomson Crookes/Bole. No wonder physics is so hard.

The second law is clasically written F=m*a, despite the fact that it really should be F/m=a but that's physics for you.

1. Why is mass considered a special property in physics?

Mass is considered a special property in physics because it is a fundamental quantity that is used to describe the amount of matter in an object. It is also a key factor in determining an object's inertia and its response to external forces.

2. How does mass affect force and momentum?

Mass affects force and momentum because the amount of force needed to accelerate an object is directly proportional to its mass. In other words, the greater the mass, the greater the force needed to move it. Similarly, momentum is also directly proportional to mass, meaning that an object with greater mass will have greater momentum at a given velocity.

3. What is the relationship between mass and energy?

The relationship between mass and energy is described by Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2. This equation shows that mass and energy are interchangeable and can be converted into one another. This is the basis of nuclear energy and explains why even a small amount of mass can produce a large amount of energy.

4. How is work defined in terms of force and distance?

Work is defined as the product of force and distance. In other words, work is done when a force is applied to an object and causes it to move a certain distance in the direction of the force. This can be represented by the equation W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

5. What is the relationship between mass and power?

The relationship between mass and power is not direct, as power is a measure of the rate at which work is done. However, mass can indirectly affect power by affecting an object's ability to do work. For example, a heavier object will require more power to lift it to a certain height compared to a lighter object.