1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is my lamda different from the formula used by the book in Poisson Distribution?

1. Sep 25, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A store selling newspapers orders n = 4 of a certain newspaper because the manager does not get many calls for that publication. If the number of requests per day follows a Poisson distribution with mean 3, what is the expected value of the number sold?

2. Relevant equations
    Now we are approximating this with a Poisson distribution as said. So I would think to use 3 because our book explicitly states mean (mu) = sigma^2 = lambda.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Thus, my thought is that lamba should be 3 which, I thought should be the expected value. However, I also know through moment-generating functions that the sum of x*P(X=x) is also my expected value. But if I use a lambda of 3, I still can't get the books answer of 2.681.

Thanks for your help!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?