Why is not Delphi commonly used professionaly?

• Thread starter eNathan
  • Start date
In summary, Delphi is a great language and I recommend it to anyone looking for a high level language.
eNathan
Delphi in my opinion is the best language ever. It is a combination of the low level power of C++, along with the speed of C++ (well, most of the time atleast), the ease of Visual Basic, and the flexibility of Java. Also, it is a VERY high level language, it comes with all sorts of components and data types. And best of all its open source (atleast in IDE).

Why is this not the most commonly used language among companies who need RAD?

If delphi => CPP + VB then begin CPP.Destroy; VB.Destroy; Delphi.Create(self); End;

Computer science news on Phys.org
Why did VHS beat Betamax? Why Windows and not Macs in every office in America? The best technology does not always win. Marketing and other factors come into account. I believe Delphi was much like VB when it came out and that was a time when VB was really going strong, so I guess people thought, why switch?

infidel said:
Why did VHS beat Betamax? Why Windows and not Macs in every office in America? The best technology does not always win. Marketing and other factors come into account. I believe Delphi was much like VB when it came out and that was a time when VB was really going strong, so I guess people thought, why switch?

Well then need to check out the new versions of Delphi. I use delphi 7 and its still great. The syntax makes your code look so nice, unlike VB. Things like a ";" at the end of every statement actually makes code more readable to me. Well I certinanly hope developers can see delphi's potental. Some things I have made in Delphi require a LOT of stirng manipulation, which I could have absolutly not have done without the TStrings data structure. VB has nothing even close to this. things which I could only dream of doing in VB are a piece of cake in Delphi :)

People who use worse languages are generally blind to the advantages of using a better one, and people who use better languages despise using worse ones, even if the benefits of the tools provided with the worse language outweigh the disadvantages of the language itself.

How does one define which language is better? Is it better to have an ISO standards launguge that can be ported across platforms or is it better to have a seemingly easier language that locks you into one platform? Delphi may be easier to use than VB; however, VB comes as part of MS in some way shape or form (you can write vb scripts without actually using MS VB.net development suite).

Next, one has to consider the costs? VB.net standard will set you back $100 and can be found at CompUSA while Delphi is $50 more. VB enterprise is a little less costly as far as I saw as well.

Why use Delphi when you can use C or C++? Why pay more for Delphi when VB is available?

Syntactically, some may find language X easier; however, we are governed by our pocketbooks in many cases. If language X costs more than language Y but doesn't increase productivity significantly enough to offset the extra $$$ then is really better? From a business standpoint no. If language X is easier to code(this is relative though) than Y but Y can be ported to *NIX, OSX(FreeBSD) and Windows while X keeps you on windows then which is better? In both cases, I'd say that Y is superior.

faust9 said:
How does one define which language is better? Is it better to have an ISO standards launguge that can be ported across platforms or is it better to have a seemingly easier language that locks you into one platform? Delphi may be easier to use than VB; however, VB comes as part of MS in some way shape or form (you can write vb scripts without actually using MS VB.net development suite).

Next, one has to consider the costs? VB.net standard will set you back $100 and can be found at CompUSA while Delphi is $50 more. VB enterprise is a little less costly as far as I saw as well.

Why use Delphi when you can use C or C++? Why pay more for Delphi when VB is available?

Syntactically, some may find language X easier; however, we are governed by our pocketbooks in many cases. If language X costs more than language Y but doesn't increase productivity significantly enough to offset the extra $$$ then is really better? From a business standpoint no. If language X is easier to code(this is relative though) than Y but Y can be ported to *NIX, OSX(FreeBSD) and Windows while X keeps you on windows then which is better? In both cases, I'd say that Y is superior.

Well, I am talking about the actual product, not the price.

Advantages of delphi over VB..
Delphi has more components, a LOT more (like VB's ActiveX)
delphi components are Open Source, while VB has those horrible Closed Srounce ActiveX Controls, you even have to include th e files at run time.
Delphi has better functions
The Delphi Syntax is healtheir
Delphi has full support of API, while in VB you have to declare each of them
Delphi is faster
Delphi is more flexable amoung different OS's
You can make stand-alone EXE's in Delphi

However, one thing I like about VB is..
The creation of ActiveX controls is a visual process, which in Delphi its pure code.

And C++ is very low level...Unless you are looking for extream speed, Delphi is the best RAD tool avalible.

1. Why has Delphi lost popularity in the professional world?

Delphi, also known as Object Pascal, was a popular programming language in the 1990s and early 2000s. However, with the rise of more modern languages like Java and C#, Delphi has gradually lost popularity in the professional world. This is due to several reasons, including the lack of support for cross-platform development and the limited availability of skilled Delphi programmers.

2. Is Delphi still a viable option for professional software development?

While Delphi may have lost popularity, it is still a viable option for professional software development. It is a mature language with a large codebase and a dedicated community of developers. Delphi also offers a powerful integrated development environment (IDE) and a robust set of libraries and components, making it suitable for a variety of applications.

3. What are the main advantages of using Delphi in a professional setting?

One of the main advantages of using Delphi in a professional setting is its ease of use. The language is highly readable and has a simple syntax, making it easy to learn and maintain. Additionally, Delphi's strong typing system and built-in memory management help to reduce errors and enhance application stability.

4. Are there any limitations to using Delphi in a professional environment?

As with any programming language, Delphi does have its limitations. One of the main limitations is its lack of cross-platform support. While there are some third-party tools available for cross-platform development, it is not as seamless as other languages like Java or C#. Additionally, Delphi may not be the best choice for complex, enterprise-level applications.

5. Is it worth learning Delphi for professional use?

Whether it is worth learning Delphi for professional use depends on the specific needs and goals of the individual or organization. If cross-platform compatibility is not a priority and there is a need for fast and efficient development, Delphi can be a valuable skill to have. However, it may not be as in-demand as other more popular languages, so it is important to consider the job market and industry before investing time and resources into learning Delphi.