Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is PF so great?

1. Apr 22, 2016 #1
    Pf is so great because of math. Math is the street cred of life. So that's why I continue to visit PF.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2016 #2

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For me, it's because PF doesn't tolerate crackpots and trolls. It's nice to have a refuge where those types aren't given free reign to trash scientific discussions.

4. Apr 22, 2016 #3
    Well, one persons troll is another persons savior, Borg. Math never lets you down.

5. Apr 22, 2016 #4

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe your definition is different from mine?
    Internet troll:
    How can this type of person be considered a savior? ?:)

6. Apr 22, 2016 #5
    Idk, I think we're on the same team, Borg, we both love PF

7. Apr 22, 2016 #6
    Math made this all possible.

I like Borg's answer. Careful management has resulted in a high quality environment, attractive to kind, intelligent people.

The population makes pf great. Dead boards are no fun.

8. Apr 22, 2016 #7
    I think this is the harsh reality, it's all about math, the biological philosophers like myself have good intentions, but we're talking through our ass.

9. Apr 22, 2016 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Are you being sarcastic or something? If you have an issue with this forum, just come out and say it.

10. Apr 22, 2016 #9

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well, yeah, but they DID let both of us in :smile:

11. Apr 22, 2016 #10

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

My favorite part about PF is that it allows quality questions from anybody, regardless one’s age or level of education, as long as the person asking the question is willing to learn and not trying to take advantage of those trying to help them. I used to explore the Physics Stack Exchange, but there was so much mockery and negativity towards people whose questions were not “complex enough”. And then you have places like Yahoo answers where people just throw out their homework assignments, waiting for people to give them answers (lots of times incorrect ones).

PF is way awesome :smile:

12. Apr 22, 2016 #11

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I used to post unsolvable math questions on Yahoo answers. Sometimes I got (incorrect) solutions as answers.

13. Apr 22, 2016 #12

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

For real? Do you know the links to those posts?

14. Apr 22, 2016 #13
    Hilarious!:DD

15. Apr 22, 2016 #14

1oldman2

Gold Member

Besides that just logging in to PF tends to raise ones IQ by about 10 points. :cool: (best site I have ever seen) :thumbup:

16. Apr 22, 2016 #15

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Aw, I didn’t know that!

I guess it balances out with all the other things I waste my time with o:):biggrin::DD

17. Apr 22, 2016 #16
    PF is great because it is managed by a team of fantastic people, who do an awesome job!

18. Apr 22, 2016 #17

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I second this one :wink:

(Stevie, your new avatar is cute!)

19. Apr 22, 2016 #18
    Thank you! I quite like it. It was only a few days ago I changed it to a Wall-E image. Yesterday I changed it to the Elephant.

20. Apr 22, 2016 #19

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well, stop changing it. This one is for keeps :smile:

21. Apr 22, 2016 #20
    No, I'm not being sarcastic, I meant what I said. This is reality. I eshewed math as a youngster. Now I'm faced with that decision because I've been accepted to an information science grad school program. As you know from my postings I'm a pontificating professsor with my head in the clouds. And that's actually where I like my head to be. But now I have to grow up and learn math. So this is a new adventure for me. I was actually really good at math in high school. I also wrote video games in assembly language on the 6502 processor in 1983. But then I found sex, drugs and rock and roll as an adolescent and blew it. So now at 48 I'm trying to get it back.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted