Why is PF so great?

• Thread starter DiracPool
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Pf is so great because of math. Math is the street cred of life. So that's why I continue to visit PF.

Answers and Replies

Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
For me, it's because PF doesn't tolerate crackpots and trolls. It's nice to have a refuge where those types aren't given free reign to trash scientific discussions.

Well, one persons troll is another persons savior, Borg. Math never lets you down.

Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Maybe your definition is different from mine?
Internet troll:
In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion, often for their own amusement.
How can this type of person be considered a savior? ?:)

Idk, I think we're on the same team, Borg, we both love PF

Math made this all possible.

I like Borg's answer. Careful management has resulted in a high quality environment, attractive to kind, intelligent people.

The population makes pf great. Dead boards are no fun.

I think this is the harsh reality, it's all about math, the biological philosophers like myself have good intentions, but we're talking through our ass.

I think this is the harsh reality, it's all about math, the biological philosophers like myself have good intentions, but we're talking through our ass.
Are you being sarcastic or something? If you have an issue with this forum, just come out and say it.

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
For me, it's because PF doesn't tolerate crackpots and trolls.
Well, yeah, but they DID let both of us in :smile:

ProfuselyQuarky
Gold Member
My favorite part about PF is that it allows quality questions from anybody, regardless one’s age or level of education, as long as the person asking the question is willing to learn and not trying to take advantage of those trying to help them. I used to explore the Physics Stack Exchange, but there was so much mockery and negativity towards people whose questions were not “complex enough”. And then you have places like Yahoo answers where people just throw out their homework assignments, waiting for people to give them answers (lots of times incorrect ones).

PF is way awesome :smile:

My favorite part about PF is that it allows quality questions from anybody, regardless one’s age or level of education, as long as the person asking the question is willing to learn and not trying to take advantage of those trying to help them. I used to explore the Physics Stack Exchange, but there was so much mockery and negativity towards people whose questions were not “complex enough”. And then you have places like Yahoo answers where people just throw out their homework assignments, waiting for people to give them answers (lots of times incorrect ones).

PF is way awesome :smile:
I used to post unsolvable math questions on Yahoo answers. Sometimes I got (incorrect) solutions as answers.

ProfuselyQuarky
Gold Member
I used to post unsolvable math questions on Yahoo answers. Sometimes I got (incorrect) solutions as answers.
For real? Do you know the links to those posts?

Hilarious!:DD

ProfuselyQuarky
Gold Member
Besides that just logging in to PF tends to raise ones IQ by about 10 points. :cool: (best site I have ever seen) :thumbup:
Aw, I didn’t know that!

I guess it balances out with all the other things I waste my time with o:):biggrin::DD

PF is great because it is managed by a team of fantastic people, who do an awesome job!

ProfuselyQuarky
Gold Member
PF is great because it is managed by a team of fantastic people, who do an awesome job!
I second this one :wink:

(Stevie, your new avatar is cute!)

(Stevie, your new avatar is cute!)
Thank you! I quite like it. It was only a few days ago I changed it to a Wall-E image. Yesterday I changed it to the Elephant.

ProfuselyQuarky
Gold Member
Thank you! I quite like it. It was only a few days ago I changed it to a Wall-E image. Yesterday I changed it to the Elephant.
Well, stop changing it. This one is for keeps :smile:

Are you being sarcastic or something? If you have an issue with this forum, just come out and say it.
No, I'm not being sarcastic, I meant what I said. This is reality. I eshewed math as a youngster. Now I'm faced with that decision because I've been accepted to an information science grad school program. As you know from my postings I'm a pontificating professsor with my head in the clouds. And that's actually where I like my head to be. But now I have to grow up and learn math. So this is a new adventure for me. I was actually really good at math in high school. I also wrote video games in assembly language on the 6502 processor in 1983. But then I found sex, drugs and rock and roll as an adolescent and blew it. So now at 48 I'm trying to get it back.

It was actually really embarrassing. Somehow I was able to get an undergraduate degree in Biology without taking a single math class. They made me take one class, essentially entitled calculus for poets. I failed it and had to take it the next semester and got a C. Pathetic.

Last edited:
As others have said PF has a lot of really awesome people.

We have to give credits to Our superman @Greg Bernhardt for creating this amazing place and our awesome mentors. They show us what selfless service is! They make physics forums a great place.

cnh1995
Homework Helper
Gold Member
PF is really a great place! Mentors and science advisers here are experts in their respective fields and it's really great to learn things from such people. From simple school-work questions to some really advanced scientific and technical discussions, I've seen true quality here. Today's my one year anniversary and I feel great to be a part of this place. Thank you @Greg Bernhardt!

They show us what selfless service is!
I think gracy hit the nail on the head. What makes PF great is the (math) and the selfless service, although I'm sure Greg would appreciate you getting a premium membership. Personally, all I offer is a lot of whining. But I think the PF people still love me. I offer a lot of selfless information. Is it worth anything? IDK.