Why is Physics So Hard? Advice to Improve

In summary: Step 2. Do the problems. This sounds simple but it's the most important step. If you don't do the problems, you will not learn. If you do the problems, you will learn. I cannot emphasize this enough. Step 3. Take the tests. I cannot stress this enough either. You will ONLY learn if you take the tests. If you don't take the tests, you will not learn. Step 4. Go to class. You will learn more by actually being in the class and interacting with the teacher and classmates. In summary, you should study by doing
Angry Citizen said:
Step 3 is absolutely terrible. Since when did Physics become an exercise in memorizing formulas?

i agree. i learned it the hard way :/

never sit there and just memorize formulas or constant... when you do question it automatically gets built into your memory... this is how i got to know my stufff in time for exam...

Physics news on Phys.org
Chunkysalsa said:
Congratulations, you seem like you've been working hard this year and deserve it.

Do you guys do any E&M stuff, I don't remember doing anything relating to that or optics in High School (but I barely remember high school physics anyway, snoozed to a C).

As of this point no, but i remember looking ahead in the book and i definitely saw stuff about optics

What is up everyone! I finished with an A+ in the 3rd marking period and just got 1 more marking period to go. But i actually decided to take ap physics next year as a senior. This is crazy, at the beginning of the year I HATED PHYSICS and was horrible at it, but now i actually like physics and am good at it. Thanks for the motivation everyone. Next big decision; what should i major in college. Either something with engineering or business. Big difference but I like both and have taken classes that prepare for both so far in high school (accounting)

Borek said:
Physics is easy, Math Is Hard.

This is hilarious since any physics problem requires

1) Mathematical Knowledge
2) Physical Intuition

Any math problem requires

What is harder?

The answer is both can be made incredibly difficult, but physics will always involve that one extra ingredient which can makes problems that much more difficult: physical intuition.

Furthermore, in physics we cannot make up axioms and prove stuff based on them, we are limited by the true test of all truth: experiment. Which also makes physics that much harder.

Operationally, they are hard because, in many cases, to solve problems, it requires quite a bit of creativity.

My cal 2 professor used the term "mathematical trickery" on more than one occasion when deriving things. I've noticed in CM, QM, and to a lesser extent surprisingly in Thermal, that they pull stuff out of their ***. It is also the same for mathematics.

"Where the heck did that come from?"

I think I like mathematics more because of its axiomatic approach. You use definitions to create more definitions and identify new relationships, etc.

Disinterred said:
This is hilarious since any physics problem requires

2) Physical Intuition

Any math problem requires

What is harder?

The answer is both can be made incredibly difficult, but physics will always involve that one extra ingredient which can makes problems that much more difficult: physical intuition.

Furthermore, in physics we cannot make up axioms and prove stuff based on them, we are limited by the true test of all truth: experiment. Which also makes physics that much harder.

Is there no such that as Mathematical Intuition. I'm pretty sure it took a lot of creativity and intuition to devise all of this knowledge you call upon to do your physics.

NeedsHelp1212 said:
What is up everyone! I finished with an A+ in the 3rd marking period and just got 1 more marking period to go. But i actually decided to take ap physics next year as a senior. This is crazy, at the beginning of the year I HATED PHYSICS and was horrible at it, but now i actually like physics and am good at it. Thanks for the motivation everyone. Next big decision; what should i major in college. Either something with engineering or business. Big difference but I like both and have taken classes that prepare for both so far in high school (accounting)

Wow, excellent job, congrats!

You can always double major - not a bad combination, those two.

Keep in mind, having an engineering degree doesn't prevent you from going into business, but having just a business degree pretty much excludes you from getting an engineering job.

As Walter Lewin would say "you must have had a bad teacher"

last day of school today!

I'm not sure what my final grade is until report cards are mailed out but I am hoping i somehow got to an A+ for the year. The final exam was surprisingly easy and i feel i aced it.

The bad news is AP physics will most likely not be available in my school next year. Under 10 people elected to take the class so there most likely not going to offer it. This really sucks since I wanted to challenge myself further. Instead I am going to take AP Bio, since i want an AP science for colleges to see (and i just hate chemistry even though i get good grades in that class).

So yeah, thanks for the advice guys. It's weird looking back at this thread and seeing what people wrote back in October when i felt so horrible about my grades and where i am now. Hopefully, somehow they offer ap physics next year.

**Btw fylingpig: My teacher is not in any way bad, on the other hand I feel he is one of the best teachers I have ever had. He teaches the material clearly and will always be available for help.

<h2>1. Why is physics considered a difficult subject?</h2><p>Physics is often considered a difficult subject because it involves complex mathematical concepts and abstract theories that may be challenging to grasp. It also requires a lot of critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which can be difficult for some individuals.</p><h2>2. How can I improve my understanding of physics?</h2><p>One way to improve your understanding of physics is to practice regularly and actively engage with the material. This can involve solving practice problems, conducting experiments, and seeking help from a tutor or teacher when needed.</p><h2>3. What are some common mistakes to avoid in physics?</h2><p>Some common mistakes to avoid in physics include not understanding the fundamental concepts, not showing all steps in problem-solving, and not reviewing and practicing regularly. It is also important to avoid relying too heavily on memorization rather than understanding the underlying principles.</p><h2>4. How can I make physics more interesting and engaging?</h2><p>One way to make physics more interesting and engaging is to relate it to real-world applications and everyday experiences. You can also try to find a study group or participate in discussions with classmates to share different perspectives and insights.</p><h2>5. What is the best way to prepare for a physics exam?</h2><p>The best way to prepare for a physics exam is to review and practice regularly, starting well in advance. This can involve solving practice problems, creating study guides, and seeking help from a tutor or teacher. It is also important to get enough rest and manage stress levels before the exam.</p>

1. Why is physics considered a difficult subject?

Physics is often considered a difficult subject because it involves complex mathematical concepts and abstract theories that may be challenging to grasp. It also requires a lot of critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which can be difficult for some individuals.

2. How can I improve my understanding of physics?

One way to improve your understanding of physics is to practice regularly and actively engage with the material. This can involve solving practice problems, conducting experiments, and seeking help from a tutor or teacher when needed.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid in physics?

Some common mistakes to avoid in physics include not understanding the fundamental concepts, not showing all steps in problem-solving, and not reviewing and practicing regularly. It is also important to avoid relying too heavily on memorization rather than understanding the underlying principles.

4. How can I make physics more interesting and engaging?

One way to make physics more interesting and engaging is to relate it to real-world applications and everyday experiences. You can also try to find a study group or participate in discussions with classmates to share different perspectives and insights.

5. What is the best way to prepare for a physics exam?

The best way to prepare for a physics exam is to review and practice regularly, starting well in advance. This can involve solving practice problems, creating study guides, and seeking help from a tutor or teacher. It is also important to get enough rest and manage stress levels before the exam.