1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is Robotics and Mechatronics in Mechanical Engineering if its more electrcity ?

1. Aug 16, 2010 #1
    Why is Robotics and Mechatronics in Mechanical Engineering if its more electrcity!!!?

Doesent Robots and Mechatronics have to do more with Electrcial Engineering?

Robots think with electronics not with mechanical or thermodynamics.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2010 #2
    Re: Why is Robotics and Mechatronics in Mechanical Engineering if its more electrcity

At our school, the class is filled with both Mechanical and ECE students. The students are grouped so that each group has an appropriate amount of respective experts. I expect it's much the same at your school. That said, the class still needs to have a home on paper.

4. Aug 17, 2010 #3
    Re: Why is Robotics and Mechatronics in Mechanical Engineering if its more electrcity

Robotic class?

5. Aug 17, 2010 #4

I want to be in the electronic and control of the robot field, in resume

i wana know ¿How the robot thinks?

6. Aug 17, 2010 #5

You probably want to go into computer science and artificial intelligence. Take some mechatronics classes so you know what the robot is up against, and some neuro-physiology classes to get an idea of what you are up against....

7. Aug 17, 2010 #6

The class is called "Mechatronics" :P

8. Aug 18, 2010 #7

I like physics more than programing, in EE you see electronics wich is a major part of robotics,
    also the movement of the robot are electronic ordered.

9. Aug 18, 2010 #8

Maybe is a mistake in alot of universities to put ME more close to robotics more than EE.

10. Aug 18, 2010 #9

in EE your learn controls and signals wich are vital in the concept of a robot and you see those in Electrcial/Electronic Engineering

11. Aug 18, 2010 #10

A robot is a mechanical machine guided by electronics, neither part is more important than the other but I'd say that with the majority of the robots we produce most of the work lies with the mechanical side since the robots usually don't think but are just programmed to do a set of moves over and over. Also I take it that you are an EE.

12. Aug 18, 2010 #11

Are you asking or telling? Because it seems like you're ignoring peoples replies and trying to justify why you think it's more to do with electrical engineering. Robotics and mechatronics take important things from both mechanical and electrical engineering - which is why robotics and mechatronics are separate disciplines (and not just another mechanical degree).

13. Aug 18, 2010 #12

No. Im looking for a career

14. Aug 18, 2010 #13

Dont get me wrong is just what i think, maybe is becouse i am intersted in how the robots are controled, thats why i am more interested in EE.

15. Aug 21, 2010 #14

Honestly, don't get caught up in semantics and draw an absolute distinction between ME and EE. Mechatronics and controls are fundamentally interdisciplinary fields. Therefore ME and EE can both claim equal stake to them.

16. Aug 21, 2010 #15

There is a more more reasonable answer

17. Aug 21, 2010 #16

You can't control something if you don't know what you control which is why you need mech.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook