Why won't my silicon melt with a zvs inductive heater?

In summary, the silicon workpiece is not melting, and does not become conductive until heated to 300 C. The zvs inductive heater is not effective at heating the workpiece to this temperature.
Patrick Underwood
I’m using a zvs inductive heater to try to melt some 99.85% polycrystalline silicon, as would occur in the Czochralski process, but the silicon workpiece is not melting let alone even getting hot. The silicon workpiece is about the size of a playing dice, and becomes fully conductive after preheating to about 100* C. Even after preheating the workpiece while in the coil to achieve adequate conductivity, the inductive heater still doesn’t “take over” to raise the temperature. The inductive heater works fine with other conductive materials such as iron and aluminum and heats them quite effectively. A Czochralski process patent I came across claims that the silicon must be preheated to at least 1000* C, but many other Czochralski process
diagrams and research papers make no mention of any necessary preheating.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Honestly I would not have expected PC Si to conduct above 100c... do you have a material reference for this?

What can you melt in your heater?

Thank you Windadct for the reply.
The silicon is mostly conductive at room temp, but doesn't become fully conductive until 300 C. (I ran the test again). I used a stronger torch for preheating; I was able to get the silicon workpiece to glow red, but the inductive heater still isn't taking over. I purchased the silicon from eBay titled "99.85% polycrystalline silicon chunks". I doubt conductivity is the issue. Could it be that the frequency for silicon is out of range of the zvs heater I'm using? After searching the web, I can't find any info on the necessary frequency range for heating silicon inductively.

Setting up the frequency, coil design and other factors is apparently pretty involved - REFERENCE. I worked with Ambrel before (good people)- you may be able to get some quick info by contacting them - as a hobbyist(I assume)..

1. Why does silicon have such a high melting point?

Silicon has a high melting point due to its strong covalent bonds. These bonds require a significant amount of energy to break, resulting in a high melting point of 1414°C.

2. Is silicon a metal or a non-metal?

Silicon is classified as a metalloid, meaning it has properties of both metals and non-metals. It has metallic luster but is brittle like a non-metal.

3. Can silicon ever melt?

Yes, silicon can melt under extreme conditions. It has a melting point of 1414°C, so it can melt in very high-temperature environments such as in the Earth's core or during industrial processes.

4. How does the melting point of silicon compare to other elements?

The melting point of silicon is relatively high compared to other elements, ranking as the 7th highest melting point among all elements. This is due to its strong covalent bonds and its metalloid nature.

5. What are some practical applications of silicon's high melting point?

The high melting point of silicon makes it useful in various industries such as electronics, where it is used to make semiconductors and computer chips. It is also used in high-temperature applications such as in furnaces and aerospace materials.