1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is sinθ not negative?

1. Jul 20, 2013 #1
    This question is the very end of a large problem that I really can't figure out. It's an online course and the computer keeps saying the same thing so I am getting confused.

It says simplify 1-(1-sinθ)

My answer: -sinθ
    Computer's answer: sinθ

From what I understand, it would come out to -sinθ but the computer keeps saying its positive sinθ. I know I am probably overlooking something and that is why I am asking here for advice. I am just trying to understand what I am missing.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2013 #2

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

The negative in front of the parentheses distributes in, and eliminates the parentheses, leaving you with 1-1+sin x, recalling that a negative times a negative is a positive. The 1 and the -1 cancel, leaving you with a positive sin x.

4. Jul 20, 2013 #3
    Perfect! Thank you. LOL see sometimes you look over the easy things in math :) I have been doing this online course for 14 hours straight today so my brain is pretty much fried.

5. Jul 20, 2013 #4

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

I know what you mean! 9/10 of the mistakes I make in math come down to some simple little computational/arithmetic error.

6. Jul 20, 2013 #5

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

I'd say it was more of a conceptual error in not being comfortable with the distributive law when subtraction is applied after all its really a contraction of 1 + (-1)*(1 - sin theta)

Its really good to be able to categorize your arithmetic mistakes so you identify the underlying cause and fix it. If you just shrug it off then you'll keep doing the same mistakes over and over again.

7. Jul 20, 2013 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Agreed 100%. Categorizing mistakes has been extremely helpful to me when I was new to math!

8. Jul 20, 2013 #7

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

Yeah, that is more of a conceptual error. The distributive law is one that many people have trouble with. I tutor a lot of elementary/intermediate algebra students, and that's one of the parts that they seem to have trouble with most often, but only when negative signs are involved. I remember learning the basic properties of algebra way back in the day(distributive property, zero factor property, multiplicative inverse property, etc) and feeling that it was completely pointless to learn them. Turns out that those properties are actually very valuable knowledge to hang on to.

9. Jul 20, 2013 #8

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

The error categorizing is critical. My brother was once very frustrated with his math. It turned out that while he checked his work his check was always flawed which caused him to go back and change the answer. This distributive law issue if it didn't come up in the problem would come up in the check causing the error that sent him to the dark side.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted