1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Why is stress a tensor

1. Jan 19, 2017 #1
    Before I go any further, I do understand the ways that mechanical engineering textbooks explain why stress is a tensor.

But all of those explanations seem infused with geometry (which I do NOT mean in a negative way at all); and are demonsrtrations.

I am searching for a more concise/abstract reason why stress is a tensor.

However, my education in math had been deficient. So am teaching myself new things.
    And now that I understand a bit more about what a tensor is, after going through many of these wonderful videos:

(and many others)

... I am hoping someone can explain to me, concisely, without drawing tetrahera or any of those ways, why is stress a tensor.

In other words, beginning with a understanding of what a tensor is, why is stress one of these things?
    And by that: do not DEMONSTRATE it is by doing a transformatoin..... EXPLAIN why is IS a tensor.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

(Linear) Stress is a concept that is a linear transformation from vectors (the surface normal direction) to another vector (the force on the surface element). This is an identifying property of a rank two tensor.

4. Jan 19, 2017 #3
    I "feel" that this is along the lines of what I am looking for, but I lack your confidence. You say it so easily. Could you elaborate?

5. Jan 19, 2017 #4
    I mean: "demonstrate"

6. Jan 19, 2017 #5

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A rank two tensor may be seen as a linear map from vectors to vectors. The quotient law for tensors also tells us that any such mapping must be a tensor. Since stress relates surface elements (a vector) to the force across the surface (also a vector), stress must be a tensor.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  7. Jan 19, 2017 #6
    wow this makes a lot of sense....

May I finally ask: Did you understand what I meant when I said that the traditional "proofs" were, more or less, "demonstrations using the geometry of tetrahedra", and were.... loss of a word here to capture my feelings.... like cheating? In other words, I feel that only NOW that I have a stronger idea of a tensor from listening to those videos, do I feel I understand what stress is a tensor and it is reallyu simple.

8. Jan 19, 2017 #7

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, I would say that the typical way of introducing tensors in physics and engineering is perhaps not the most intuitive one.

9. Jan 19, 2017 #8

Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted