Why is stress considered a tensor?

In summary, stress is a concept that is a linear transformation from vectors (the surface normal direction) to another vector (the force on the surface element). This is an identifying property of a rank two tensor.
observer1
Before I go any further, I do understand the ways that mechanical engineering textbooks explain why stress is a tensor.

But all of those explanations seem infused with geometry (which I do NOT mean in a negative way at all); and are demonsrtrations.

I am searching for a more concise/abstract reason why stress is a tensor.

However, my education in math had been deficient. So am teaching myself new things.
And now that I understand a bit more about what a tensor is, after going through many of these wonderful videos:

(and many others)

... I am hoping someone can explain to me, concisely, without drawing tetrahera or any of those ways, why is stress a tensor.

In other words, beginning with a understanding of what a tensor is, why is stress one of these things?
And by that: do not DEMONSTRATE it is by doing a transformatoin... EXPLAIN why is IS a tensor.

Physics news on Phys.org
(Linear) Stress is a concept that is a linear transformation from vectors (the surface normal direction) to another vector (the force on the surface element). This is an identifying property of a rank two tensor.

Likes vanhees71 and Dale
Orodruin said:
(Linear) Stress is a concept that is a linear transformation from vectors (the surface normal direction) to another vector (the force on the surface element). This is an identifying property of a rank two tensor.

I "feel" that this is along the lines of what I am looking for, but I lack your confidence. You say it so easily. Could you elaborate?

Orodruin said:
I mean: "demonstrate"

observer1 said:
I "feel" that this is along the lines of what I am looking for, but I lack your confidence. You say it so easily. Could you elaborate?
A rank two tensor may be seen as a linear map from vectors to vectors. The quotient law for tensors also tells us that any such mapping must be a tensor. Since stress relates surface elements (a vector) to the force across the surface (also a vector), stress must be a tensor.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
Orodruin said:
A rank two tensor may be seen as a linear mapping between from vectors to vectors. The quotient law for tensors also tells us that any such mapping must be a tensor. Since stress relates surface elements (a vector) to the force across the surface (also a vector), stress must be a tensor.
wow this makes a lot of sense...

May I finally ask: Did you understand what I meant when I said that the traditional "proofs" were, more or less, "demonstrations using the geometry of tetrahedra", and were... loss of a word here to capture my feelings... like cheating? In other words, I feel that only NOW that I have a stronger idea of a tensor from listening to those videos, do I feel I understand what stress is a tensor and it is reallyu simple.

Well, I would say that the typical way of introducing tensors in physics and engineering is perhaps not the most intuitive one.

Orodruin said:
Well, I would say that the typical way of introducing tensors in physics and engineering is perhaps not the most intuitive one.
Thank you

1. What is a stress tensor?

A stress tensor is a mathematical representation of stress in a three-dimensional space. It is a symmetric second-order tensor that describes the magnitude and direction of stress experienced by a material.

2. Why is stress represented as a tensor?

Stress is represented as a tensor because it is a physical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. Tensors are used to describe physical quantities that have both of these properties, making them a useful mathematical tool for representing stress.

3. How is stress a tensor?

Stress is a tensor because it has both magnitude and direction. This means that it can be represented by a second-order tensor, which has both rows and columns and can account for the directionality of stress.

4. What are the components of a stress tensor?

The components of a stress tensor are the normal stresses, which act perpendicular to a given surface, and the shear stresses, which act parallel to the surface. In three-dimensional space, a stress tensor has nine components.

5. Why is stress a second-order tensor?

Stress is a second-order tensor because it has both magnitude and direction, and these two properties can be described using two indices. This makes it a second-order tensor, which has both rows and columns to account for the directionality of stress.